Don’t judge others before you know the facts

Analicia Haynes, Managing Editor

Watching students my age hunched over, their arms hugging their torsos while speed walking to class may prompt a quick chuckle from any passerby regardless of age.

Seeing someone shiver in their thin sweaters and even thinner pants immediately leads us to assume that the “dumb kid” did not check the weather this morning and therefore any ounce of sympathy is reserved for a later date and for someone who is worth the care.

So, we brush that student off, not realizing that maybe that student did check the weather in the morning. Maybe that student realized that the only clothes they have are the same ones they have been wearing since last fall and continue to wash them so no one will notice that they do not have the latest fashion trends hanging in their closet.

Maybe that student, who prayed for warmer weather and embraced not having to shiver on their way to class, realized that once again they have to brace the harsh winter without proper clothing because they cannot afford something as simple as a winter coat.

It is easy to assume that someone was not prepared when we see that person shivering in the cold, because it is hard to accept that students who are trying to better their lives cannot afford winter clothes, something many of us take for granted.

The next time you judge someone remember that not everyone is as lucky as you, so try to be a little understanding and sympathetic.

And if you are that student who is too embarrassed to admit you need help, there is nothing wrong with asking for a little help here and there. A true friend, actually a decent human being will lend you a coat or toss you a hand-me-down and if someone mistreats you or laughs just remember, there is a special place for them.

Analicia Haynes is a junior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].