Use stories for strength, not manipulation

Solomon Toluwalase, Columnist

Stories are an authentic human experience and have always been a primal form of interpersonal and mass communication in society. They are timeless links to ancient traditions, legends, archetypes, myths and symbols.

They connect us to universal truths. Through stories we share passion, sadness, hardships and joys. We share meaning and purpose. As individuals we should always use our stories to persuade, inspire and motivate others rather than gossip and mislead other people for selfish purposes.

Tell people motivating stories so that they can tell other people your story of how you helped them emotionally to tackle hardships. Stories are about collaboration and connection. Stories are a powerful tool that if used appropriately, can help the global community become a village of peace where everyone is entitled to a unique crown.

Currently, stories are used as tools for manipulation, segregation and disinformation. The disinformation about leaders, individuals, groups and nations are stories that are told intentionally as a sign of hatred and unfairness. People realize the fact that storytelling is a strong tool but use it as propaganda and make the world accept fabricated truth as reality.

It is really important as a society to have understanding of how mass communication works. Mass communication has a massive influence. Thus, the mass media including T.V., radio, newspapers and social media are no doubt powerful influences on millions of people through the stories they tell.

We should be careful of how we interpret stories that are disseminated through social media because not all stories are true. Sometimes, they make us believe false information about things.

The Kalief Browder story on Netflix is a great example of how stories should be used effectively in bringing about social change. The story, which was executively produced by Jay Z Carter, narrates the story of a 16-year-old Bronx man that was imprisoned on Riker’s Island for three years with solitary confinement.

He was released when the prosecutor’s case was found lacking in evidence and witnesses. Two years later, Kalief committed suicide by hanging from an air conditioning unit outside his bedroom. The purpose of his story is to make people understand that his death was the result of the mental and physical abuse he sustained in prison.

Activists who call for the reform of the New York City Criminal Justice System have cited his case.

In addition, stories explain how things work, how we make decisions, how we understand our place in the world, create our identities and teach social values.

For those who are Christians, the stories of Christ strengthen our beliefs and reveal his true identity.

Parables of the lost sheep, healing a woman with blood issues and walking on the sea are all stories that captivate individuals and strengthen their faith. In this regard, stories help us to communicate and share beliefs to others to persuade them to make decisions and take actions. It is time to think about how do you use your stories.

Will you use your stories to organize, persuade, motivate and expose or to cause destruction through misinformation?

While the choice is yours, remember this choice could have consequences.

Solomon Toluwalase is a communication studies graduate student. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].