Students making most of new intramural app

Eric Hendrix, Contributing Writer

Eastern is one of 1,000 schools to use the IMLeagues app to schedule its intramural sports programs.

IMLeagues is an app that is currently being used by many schools to schedule their intramural sports programs. IMLeague is reachable either through their website IMLeagues.com or through the app which available for a mobile device.

The app provides the user with a schedule of intramural events and even reminds them when sign-up deadlines are. The app also allows the user to sign-up for teams and events from the comfort of their own home instead of going through the hassle of visiting the recreation center to sign-up in person.

“It’s good, because students now are more technology minded and I think they enjoy the easy access of getting on a computer and signing up there team or individually using the app themselves,” Kevin Linker, director of intramural sports, said.

Linker said that the features of the app help engage student interest such as the abilities to both keep up with game schedules and track wins and losses on the leaderboard of the app.

“Those types of fun things they have on the app like the stats and rankings, is just all fun, I mean because it all depends on what they participate in,” Linker said. “I’m just worried about them participating because once they participate they are in our system…you may participate one time in volleyball but if you participate in three events during the season those are the stats we’re looking at, not necessarily who is better than others, those are just fun things for the students just to build interest so to speak.”

Eastern has many intramural programs to offer such as bowling, volleyball, basketball, spike ball, badminton, dodgeball and more. All of these activities and more are available for current Eastern students to participate in.

“We try to get out and share schedules with students and at the beginning of the year we show up to residence halls and pass out schedules and fitness schedules for the rec,” Linker said.

Eastern’s intramural staff is available to be reached by email at [email protected] or by phone at 217-581-7000.

Although IMLeagues is the current app being used Eastern some students seem to prefer the previous one like Eastern students Matthew Golby, a junior management and marketing major and Ryan Alderman, a senior exercise science and pre-med major.

“Rec*It app was 10 times better,” Golby said. “It was easier to use, there were no problems…with the IM app there’s been problems with not being able to join teams and its super slow with a lot of confusing ads and commercials.”

Alderman said he liked Rec*It better and the new app is a little slow.

“The first one I feel like it went really quick but this one just takes a little longer to load,” Alderman said. “It’s not the end of the world that this one moves a little slower, they both work just fine.”

Eric Hendrix can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]