Group projects actually can be beneficial

Analicia Haynes, Managing Editor

As we enter college, we fall under this grand illusion that much of the pathetic nonsense that plagued high school is far behind us.

We fill up with happiness like a balloon ready to burst, because we convince ourselves that the petty gossip, the nagging teachers and of course the aching group projects that caused many breakdowns and ruined many reputations will no longer give us a reason to rip our hair from our heads.

But alas, everything we think will happen in college is a lie and the pettiness of high school never ends.

It feeds on our souls and tries so desperately to break us down and beat us like a mugger with a baseball bat. I mean the scene is far from pretty.

Besides the teenage gossip that evolves into adult gossip and that one professor we cannot stand for whatever reason, group projects are also the bane of our existence.

Oh sure, people say that group projects are necessary for team building and if we cannot work well with others in college, how can we possibly survive in our careers?

But let us face it, group projects are a pain in the neck that cause unnecessary stress because half the time there is either one or two people who are stuck with picking up the slack of the rest of the group.

There is always that one person (or several people) who ruins group projects for the rest of us.

Naturally, I am only speaking from experience, which includes stories my friends and peers have told me, but I am convinced that it is highly unlikely to have a great “team” for a group project.

However, no matter how much we complain and grumble about partners, we have to suck it up, learn to get the job done, learn to work well with others and pass the class that requires these silly projects in the first place.

Group projects can be beneficial because they have the potential of teaching cooperation, communication and the value of working with a team.

But, we refuse to take the opportunity to make the most of these projects because of our own predisposed feelings regarding working with a group of other students and our stubbornness to overcome our own weaknesses that actually make working with others a hassle.

College is a learning experience (pardon the cliché but it works) so instead of rolling your eyes when the professor announces a group project, take the chance to improve yourself and others in the group.

Avoid an attitude with people because you “hate group projects like, so much” and learn to play well with others.

And if someone is not doing their fair share, call them out on it in a respectful manner and ask if they want help finding sources or finding time to work on it.

If they still are not cooperative, then tell the professor and defend your grade and your time spent on the project.

By doing so you not only learn how to communicate with others but you also learn how to take charge in a group without being an overbearing nuisance to everyone else’s life.

Analicia Haynes is a junior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]