Tarble After Hours hosts Harry Potter pARTy

Grace+O%E2%80%99Brien%2C+a+Graphics+Design+major%2C+eats+with+friends+at+the+2017+Tarble+After+Hours+Harry+Potter+pARTy+at+the+Tarble+Arts+Center.+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99m+glad+about+how+creatively+it+came+out%2C%E2%80%9D+O%E2%80%99Brien+said.+%E2%80%9CThere+are+wide+variety+of+activities%2C+and+it+looks+like+who+ever+showed+up+is+having+a+great+time.%E2%80%9D+

Grace O’Brien, a Graphics Design major, eats with friends at the 2017 Tarble After Hours Harry Potter pARTy at the Tarble Arts Center. “I’m glad about how creatively it came out,” O’Brien said. “There are wide variety of activities, and it looks like who ever showed up is having a great time.”

Travis Moody, Staff Reporter

Students had a magical night at the Tarble Art Center while celebrating and enjoying a Harry Potter themed party.

Tarble hosted their Harry Potter pARTy Thursday night in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Harry Potter franchise.

Mike Schuetz, the assistant director at Tarble, said Harry Potter Night was one installment of the program Tarble After Hours.

“We try to do around two or three Tarble After Hour events a semester to provide students a free form of entertainment here on campus,” Schuetz said.

Sandeep Kumar Danny | The Daily Eastern News
Danielle Dellorto, an English major, plays a game at the Harry Potter PARTy at the Tarble Arts Center Thursday night. “I like the candy cart,” Dellorto said. “The Potter art hunt was fun even though it was difficult.”

Students mingled and looked at the art exhibits while the DJ played the Harry Potter soundtrack over the speakers.

A candy trolley rolled around offering guests candy like on the Hogwarts Express, and lights were set up reminiscent of the Yule Ball.

Also at the party, Angela Vietto read her tarot cards to student participants.

“Tarble put it all together, got the tarot card reader, got the DJ and set it all up,” Schuetz said.

Attendees also had the opportunity to take the Sorting Hat quiz to discover which Hogwarts house they belonged in at the Sorting Station.

Chris Breitweiser, a sophomore marketing major, said he heard about the party through his friend who works at Tarble.

“I haven’t gone to take the quiz yet, but I’m pretty sure I’m Slytherin,” Breitweiser said.

Once individuals got placed into their houses, they could grab a button representing that house.

“I think it’s great that the campus is celebrating the anniversary (of Harry Potter),” Breitweiser said. “It’s super fun to be able to go to events like this.”

During the party, attendees got the chance to walk through the galleries at Tarble and look at the artwork presented.

Jalen Washington, the Tarble event coordinator, said putting the Harry Potter pARTy together was a team effort, and many different departments worked together to make it possible.

“We reached out to people around campus and luckily there were a lot of people into Harry Potter,” Washington said.

Washington said social gatherings like this let students come and view the galleries. They also help to open doors to different involvement opportunities on campus.

Washington also said there will be more events like this held at Tarble coming up and encourages all students to attend.

Travis Moody can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].