Comedy to come to Charleston Theatre

Alana Reinhardt, Contributing Writer

Just how far are you willing to go for a friend?

That is the question that is presented to four women in the Charleston Community Theatre’s upcoming production of “Always A Bridesmaid” directed by Scott Brooks.

This comedy focuses on the trials and tribulations of four friends who made a vow in high school to be a part in each other’s wedding no matter what.

Now, many years later, these women are still honoring that vow to prove that friendship can last a lifetime even if marriages do not.

“Between them they are self-absorbed, a hopeless romantic, a stuffy lawyer, and one unique bride that is just not sure what she wants out of life,” Brooks said.

Brooks said that he chose this show months in advance of the fall season because his personal preference is comedy and because he has directed another show, “The Hallelujah Girls”, that was written by the same playwrights as “Always A Bridesmaid.”

The play was written by Jessie James, Jaime Wooten and Nicholas Hope who are famous for their comedic scripts.

Brooks said that “Always A Bridesmaid” has a comedic style that resembles “The Golden Girls” because Jamie Wooten wrote and produced for the TV show for many seasons.

“It’s fun, sarcastic and entertaining,” Brooks said.

The show has a small cast consisting of six female actresses playing the parts of Deedra, Charlie, Kari, Libby Ruth, Monette and Sedalia.

Ann Bruehler plays Monette, a high-spirited friend who tests her friend’s patience with frequent trips down the aisle.

Bruehler said that anyone who has had a lifelong friendship can relate to the show.

Brooks said that his show is relatable because the audience will be able to look at each one of these bridesmaids and see themselves or a couple of their friends.

“These ladies are willing to drop anything and come together to support each other,” Bruehler said.

“Always A Bridesmaid” is being produced by Kathy Davis and by special arrangement with Dramatists Play Service, Inc.

Performances at the Charleston Elks Lodge #623, Lower Level on 6th Street, Charleston, IL on Oct. 27 and 28 at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee on Oct. 29 at 2 p.m. and on Nov. 2-4 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors and $5 for students.

Reservations can be made by calling 877-842-3267 or online at www.charlestoncommuitytheatre.com

Alana Reinhardt can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].