Swim teams lose to Evansville

Sean Hastings

Junior Patrick Wood competes in the 100-yard butterfly Friday at Padovan Pool. Wood’s time of :55.39 was good for a fourth place finish in the event.

Tyler McCluskey, Swim Reporter

The Eastern men’s and women’s teams fell short against Evansville on Friday, losing 115-90 and 145-59.

Junior Matt Jacobs broke his previous record of :57.54 in the 100-breast by finishing with a :57.36 time.

Ten minutes after the warmup, Jacobs felt good going into the 100 breast by cooling down.

“The first 50 of my race I felt really strong considering the previous events I swam today,” Jacobs said. “I thought I would be a little fatigued but I was surprised with how fresh I felt that early in the race.”

After his last turn, he saw where everyone was and knew he should pick it up just a little more and ended up breaking his own record.

Going into the upcoming House of Champions meet, Jacobs is setting the bar high and is trying to get the team record.

“It’s a big meet, everyone is psyched up for it, we post good times, so going into that (I’m) looking to break team records,” Jacobs said.

Coach Jacqueline Michalski said that it was exciting to see Jacobs break his record.

“It’s exciting, not only that he re-broke his record, but the simple fact that he keeps getting faster every time he gets in the pool,” she said. “And it’s a good sign that kind of make sure we’re on the right track of where we need to go for the end of the season.”

The Summit League just added a new event, the 100 Individual Medley, and this was the first time the Panthers have competed in this event. Michalski said that the event will be added in meets because she wants to see where the team is at and who will be able to step up and help the team score.

Jacobs came away with the first place finish in new event with a time of :54.95. For the women, senior Paige Eavenson came away with a time of 1:04.31 for a fourth place finish.

Senior Brogan O’Doherty took home first in the 100 backstroke with a time of 51.18

The men took first place in both, the 200 medley relay and the 200 free relay. The team of O’Doherty, Jacobs, junior Patrick Wood and junior Brandon Robbins took the 200 medley with a time of 1:36.30. Taking fourth place in that race was the team of sophomore Logan Long, sophomore Gerald Stingle, freshman Colin Frazee, and sophomore Jason Manning.

In the 200 free relay, the team of junior Bryan McPherson, sophomore Nick Harkins, O’Doherty and Long won with a time of 1:28.05.

Junior Dani DiMatteo took first in the 100 fly with a time of 59.08. Sophomore Lauren Oostman finished first in the 100 back with a :58.67.

Freshman Jaelyn Williams earned a personal best in the 100 breast with a time of 1:16.74.

The women came away with a second place finish in the 200 medley relay with the team of DiMatteo, Oostman, freshman Rachel Mandersheid, and sophomore Martee Grainger with a time of 1:52.21. The team of Oostamn, DiMatteo, freshman Julia Martin, and freshman Kailey Adcock also finished second in the 200-free relay with a time of 1:43.37.

The Panthers next meet will be at the House of Champions hosted by IUPUI on Friday Nov. 18-20.

Tyler McCluskey can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]