Student Senate to discuss provost search committee

Tyler McCluskey, Staff Reporter

The Student Senate will discuss the provost search committee at their meeting Wednesday.

The meeting is set for 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Arcola/Tuscola room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

There will also be a meeting of the senate’s provost search committee 4 p.m. Thursday in the Arcola/Tuscola Room of the Union.

This committee is set up to look for someone to fill the position, as the current provost, Blair Lord, has plans to retire in the summer.

Luke Young, student vice president for academic affairs, said the meeting will be hosted by the group that was chosen to help search for the new provost.

“They’re going to talk to students and really get student input on what they want to see,” Young said.

Young said the senate wants all students to come to the provost search committee meeting and give their input for the future of Eastern.

“No major decisions are being decided at this meeting,” Young said. “It’s just a preliminary.”

The next “Prowlin’ with the Prez” is set for 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday in the South Quad. Called “Pumpkins with the Prez,” this event will have pumpkin- and jack-o’-lantern-carving contests.

The senate is also still working on the “It’s on Us” campaign to raise awareness of sexual assault.

Executives are working on their individual plans for the campaign, Young said.

Maralea Negron, executive vice president of the senate, will be heading to Illinois State University to represent Eastern at an Illinois Board of Higher Education meeting.

Tyler McCluskey can be reached at [email protected] or at 581-2812.