Fraternity to kick it in the ‘Kool’ weather

Janet Pernell, Staff Reporter

The men of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated have a week of activities planned to end the spring 2016 semester. Along with studying, members said they would like to include relaxation.

Kappa Alpha Psi will be hosting “Koolin’ in the Quad,” an annual gathering hosted by the fraternity toward the end of each semester. This will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday in the South Quad.

Kappa Alpha Psi’s week includes a speed dating session, study sessions, Family Feud and “Stroll Like a Kappa,” making this one of the fraternity’s biggest weeks.

Marvin Collins, a member of Kappa Alpha Psi, said “Koolin’ in the Quad” is a way to give students encouragement, and it is a learning experience.

“We’re just basically giving people positive words of motivation while going into finals week,” Collins said. “I feel that life is a learning experience, and each event that we throw we learn from it.”

Malcolm Miller, a member of Kappa Alpha Psi, said he thinks “Koolin’ in the Quad” is a great way to end the semester.

He said he is excited about “Koolin’ in the Quad” and feeling good about it as well.

“The school year is almost over and the weather is really nice, so I think it’s a great idea to bring the campus together,” Miller said. “We use the event to interact with the campus.”

“Koolin’ in the Quad” is a social gathering used to allow students to come together and enjoy one another and the nice weather. Because finals week is approaching, the gathering is used to relieve stress.

Collins said it is designed to be social so the campus can get a break from school and other pressures.

“The ideal way to finish off the semester is to focus on your finals and get ready to prepare for it and get those good grades. That’s the main focus,” Miller said.

Joshua Little, a member of Kappa Alpha Psi, said “Koolin’ in the Quad” is a way to bring in something positive and it is a way to escape problems, relax, chill and “kick it” in the Quad. He said it will be laid-back, comforting, fun and just like a regular day.

“It gives people a chance to get away from their problems.” Little said. “In a sense because the weather’s nice.”

Collins said each year of “Koolin’ in the Quad,” gets better.

“It’s always a progression,” Collins said.

Janet Pernell can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].