NACWC’s week to continue

Janet Pernell, Staff Reporter

The club has been on campus since May 2014 and its purpose is to empower and uplift women.
Maya Pitts, the president of the National Association of Colored Women’s Club, said this is the oldest club for African-American women in the United States and it is finally here at Eastern.

Yakela Hall, the public relations chair of the club, said joining the group means she gains a sisterhood with different girls that she thought she would never see herself bond with.

“We want to show women and black women that you do have a voice,” Hall said. “We want to show that women (and) specifically black women are more than what we are depicted as.”

Every spring the club has an informational meeting, during which Hall said women can come and show their interest in the National Association of Colored Women’s Club. The participant will receive an application and learn about the organization.

“To me, it means bettering myself as a young lady and growing within myself alongside with other women and learning how to see things from a different perspective,” Hall said. “I also like that I get to expand and learn about different women.”

Hall suggests students come to the events the National Association of Colored Women’s Club hosts. Students will be considered for membership during the application process when new members are selected.

“I like that it’s one big sisterhood of women who have the same purpose and goals,” Pitts said. “You learn about your history and accomplish something bigger.”

The African Student Association, with the National Association of Colored Women’s Club, will be hosting their first car wash from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday at Advanced Auto Parts. The cost is $3 for cars and $4 for trucks.

“We know that students have cars, and between classes and between work (they) may not have time to wash their car,” Hall said. “A car wash is a good way to fundraise and it’s also sociable and fun.”

The money raised by the ASA from the car wash will go to Flint, Michigan.

“I think we’re just expecting to just raise money and have fun,” Pitts said.

Janet Pernell can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]