Panthers earn shutout win in home opener

Lauren McQueen

Senior Jake Johansmeier pitches Tuesday at Coaches Stadium against Robert Morris-Peoria. The Panthers won 14-0, and Johansmeier improved to 1-2 on the season.

Maher Kawash, Staff Reporter

After 19 straight games on the road to start the season, the Eastern baseball team returned home to Coaches Stadium for the first time this season.

The Panthers’ home opener was originally set for March 1, but it was postponed due to severe weather conditions.

With the home opener rescheduled for today against Robert Morris-Chicago, plans almost fell through once again. Due to scheduling conflicts, Robert Morris-Chicago was not able to take on Eastern today, and the game was to be canceled.

But the Panthers found another club to come through and take part in Eastern’s home opener. The Panthers welcomed Robert Morris-Peoria onto their home field Tuesday, and did so in a spectacular fashion. Eastern’s offense was in full throttle as the team put together a special performance to come out with a 14-0 victory.

“It was big for us to just be out there on our own field,” Eastern coach Jason Anderson said. “It was a good opportunity for us, because we haven’t been able to practice on our field yet this season.”

With the win, the Panthers improved to 3-18 this season while Robert Morris dropped to 3-5 on the year.

Things did not start of particularly well for Eastern, as the team’s first four batters went down on strikes. But it would be no problem for the Panthers, because senior Mitch Gasbarro got the team going.

Gasbarro doubled in the second inning to give Eastern its first hit of the game.

Sophomore Hunter Morris followed up by reaching on an error, and allowing Gasbarro to score the first run of the game.

The Panther were nowhere near done after that. Eastern came back in the third inning to add three runs to the scoreboard, and extend the lead to 4-0.

Sophomore Frankie Perrone stepped up for the Panthers in that third inning. He brought in two runs on a single to left field.

With a comfortable lead in front of him, senior Jake Johansmeier went to work on the mound for the Panthers. Johansmeier pitched five shutout innings for Eastern while recording four strikeouts, earning his first win of the season.

“Jake was able to do what he does best, and just go out there and pitch,” Anderson said. “This game serves him as a confidence booster.”

The fifth inning proved to be another big one for the Panthers, as the offense added on four more runs to their lead. It was the fifth where Gasbarro added onto his big day at the plate with a single up the middle that brought two runners home.

Freshman Nick Maton also took part in the scoring, bringing in two more runs with a single to give the Panthers an 8-0 lead.

The offensive show continued for Eastern with sophomore Josh Turnock adding to the route in the bottom of the sixth inning. Turnock came in to the game as a pinch-hitter, and hit an RBI double into the outfield gap as the lead extended to 9-0.

And just when it looked like Eastern was ready to slow down, the offense came back for an even bigger seventh inning. The Panthers tacked on five more runs in the seventh to push their lead to 14-0 on the Eagles.

“It was a confidence booster for our guys to hit like this,” Anderson said. “Guys were struggling at the plate before this game, and some of them were able to take advantage of today.”

Eastern cruised to victory with the special day from its offense as well as stellar pitching.

Freshman Ben Hughes, sophomore Hunter Clark and freshman Cole Berry all followed Johansmeier on the mound and completed the shutout for EIU. The pitching staff not only combined for the shutout, but did so while holding the Eagles to just four hits in the game.

Gasbarro proved to be a leader on offense, finishing the day 4-for-5 from the plate along with three RBIs.

“Mitch (Gasbarro) had a good day at the plate, and was able to come through with some big hits for us,” Anderson said.

Maton also finished strong, going 3-for-4 hitting in the game.

Turnock and sophomore Cale Hennemann also took part in Eastern’s 13 hits by adding two each.

Next up for the Panthers is an important conference matchup against Jacksonville State. Eastern will take on the Gamecocks in a three game series at home. The series begins Thursday, and it will be the first home OVC matchup for the Panthers this season.

Anderson believes that the home-field advantage will do his team well against Jacksonville State. “We have a big challenge coming up this weekend,” Anderson said. “It always helps to be able to get out of the hotels, and play in front of our home surroundings.”

That three-game series will wrap up a four game home stand for Eastern.

First pitch against Jacksonville State is Thursday at 3 p.m.

Maher Kawash can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].