Softball travels to Coach B Classic

Softball travels to Coach B Classic

Sophomore utility player Tori Johnson watched her coach as she rounded third to see if she should run home during the game against Southern Illinois-Carbondale at Williams Field on April 29, 2015.

File Photo

File Photo

File Photo

The Eastern softball team lost four-straight games last weekend after winning the opening game of the Tennessee-Chattanooga Frost Classic. The Panthers will now head to the Southern Illinois Coach B Classic with a chance to get back on track.

The Panthers will take on Kansas, Southern Illinois-Carbondale and Butler this weekend.

Eastern has a 4-11 record through the first three weekends of the season. The Panthers will play a doubleheader against Kansas and Southern Illinois-Carbondale and a doubleheader against Butler and Kansas on Saturday.

Senior shortstop Katie Watson has been the biggest offensive force through the first part of the season, batting .364 and a team lead nine runs batted in.

Sophomore pitcher Jessica Wireman had a great start to the season earning Ohio Valley Conference pitcher of the week. Wireman started the season 3-2 but has since struggled. Wireman has not won again since the opening weekend, three weeks ago.

She does have 52 strikeouts this season though in 56.1 innings pitched.

Kansas has a record of a 7-8 this season and is currently on a one-game losing streak.

The Jayhawks top hitter is Daniella Chavez with a .396 batting average. She has also driven in 16 runs. The Jayhawks have four players hitting over .300.

The team’s top pitcher Ania Williams who has a .1.97 earned run average and holds a 4-2 record. She does not strikeout a lot of batters though with just 17 in 32 innings pitched.

Shaye Harre is the big bat for the Salukis with a .406 batting average. She has three home runs and 11 runs batted in.

Pitching wise, Brianna Jones is the ace for Southern. She has a 1.26 earned run average and has pitched five complete games. She has 40 strikeouts in 39 innings pitched.

Alyssa Lach is the top hitter for the Bulldogs, as she has a .341 batting average. Kristin Gutierrez is the ace for the Bulldogs. She holds a 1.20 earned run average and has 24 strikeouts through 35 innings pitched.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]