AIS brings many cultures together

T'Nerra Butler

Ernest Echefu, a graduate student, and Samira Issaka, a senior chemistry major walk the stage during the Global Cultural Night fashion show in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. Issaka hails from Ghana and Echefu is from Nigeria

Janet Pernell, Staff Reporter

Students from countries around the world gathered in a night of cultural exchange at this year’s Global Culture Night.

The Association of International Students put on the event Saturday.

Global Cultural Night consisted of people from the countries of India, Kenya, China, the United States, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Ireland, Saudi Arabia, Middle East, Nigeria and Ghana.

Flags representing different countries surrounded the stage and curve the front of the ballroom. The stage carried spinning colored disco balls board the edge of the stage along with strobe lights. Other interior designs included gold and silver balloons with different color balloon weights for added décor on the tables.

Kevin Vicker, the director of international students and scholars, came to support the event and said the event promotes unity.

“It just brings a very unique opportunity for EIU and for everyone to come together and really see the tremendous diversity we have here,” Vicker said.

Global Cultural Night has been at Eastern for some time now. The previous name for Global Cultural Night was called “Sounds of The World.” It was changed to make an even bigger statement.

“This makes it broader to encompass all the different activities and performances that take place,” Vicker said.

Ebede Beluchukwu, a graduate student and Tinuke Laguda, a graduate student walk the stage during Global Cultural Night fashion show on Saturday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. The two are from Nigeria and are wearing garments from their home country.
T’Nerra Butler

Global Cultural Night was an opportunity for people from different cultural backgrounds to showcase talents and culture to the people of Eastern.

The event kicked off with a mash up 2015 American hits while playing the beat of “I Can’t Feel My Face” by The Weekend with snippets of lyrics of songs like “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift, “Drag Me Down” by One Direction and many more.

After these, the mash-up “Kamili” by Sunidhi Chauhan came on, a song that originated from India.

People in representation of their country were wearing the corresponding attire. Indian women had on colored saris. Men from India were dressed in elegant sherwanis. Woman of the Middle East had on traditional hijabs. Middle eastern men were wearing patterned keffiyehs.

During the show, the students performed traditional pieces from China, Ireland, Nepal, India, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and America.

There was dancing, singing and people playing customary instruments.

Kaixiang Lu, a graduate student majoring in technology, did a performance with the bamboo flute, a traditional Chinese instrument.

Graduate technology majors Beluchukwu Ebede and Adekunle Adeyemo, and sophomore mass communications major Carolyne Wanjira performed an African dance drama that depicted the battle between love and money.

“I felt the energy in the people and I really liked it, the reception and everything. I loved bringing the diversity to EIU it was just awesome.” Wanjira said.

Wanjira is the only exchange student from Kenya and she represented Kenya during the show.

“Eastern Illinois University is a school with so many diversities, people from all walks of life and countries of the world,” Ebede said.

During intermission, Wanjira and Ebede presented the audience with a game called the “Balloon Race.” The game consisted of four males and four females from the audience to race with balloons between their legs to the finish line. If the balloon fell, the contestants were not allowed to touch the balloon with their hands.

Wanjira presented the audience with “musical chairs” as the second game. The same rules applied in a normal game of musical chairs, with the only difference being the contestants to dance to the music while circling around the chairs before sitting down when the music stops.

After the games, there were more performances like singing and dancing and an international fashion show. The fashion show consisted of people wearing pieces like saris, hijabs, geles, dresses, tuxedos, etc. After the show, there was music playing and people gathered on the stage to dance with one another.

“Seeing everyone come together and experience various diverse performances and cultures that we have here at EIU ad a chance to really see that come together on one night,” Vicker said. “It’s always a great activity to be a part of and see our students really work hard and put that together.”

Janet Pernell can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]