Women’s basketball team wins Jock n’ Roll after recount

Shirmeen Ahmad, Staff Reporter

The women’s basketball team was declared the winner of “Jock n’ Roll” for their Vine compilation video after a recount was taken when the event was over.

The winners who were first announced at the event were the softball and baseball teams with their joint performance, “Lip Sync Battle: Singers Hitting Dingers.”

Cindy Miller, the director of academic services for athletics, said there was a misunderstanding from the coach’s scorecards. The judges had to score the teams from highest to lowest based on their performances.

The teams’ overall performance and creativity were also taken into consideration.

The football team came in second place for an act called “Magic Nate” and the women’s soccer team came in third for their “EIU Weekly Update” performance.

Miller said an email would be sent to the athletes letting them know about the mistake.

The women’s basketball team took funny vines and re-created them with team members and coaches. At the end of the video, they acted out the different types of basketball players there are such as the “sore loser” and the “dancer.”

The main goal of the event was to raise money to send veterans at Eastern to the Ohio Valley Conference basketball tournament that will take place in early March.

“Every year we do this for our EIU veterans,” said Nick Smith, the president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee at the beginning of the event. “It’s a small token of thanks for what they do for us.”

The Eastern veterans who will be attending the tournament will be Skylar Farris and Tim Worman who will each get a two-night stay in a hotel for the tournament.

This year’s event raised $650 and had a total attendance of 220 people.

There were six acts for the night. The other competing teams were women’s volleyball and men’s soccer. The judges consisted of head coaches of different sports teams.

Volunteer assistant baseball coach Curt Courtwright, one of the five judges, also volunteered during the football team’s act where Nathan Kelly, a freshman football player, showed off his magic card tricks.

“That there meant a lot to my grandpa,” Kelly said after doing one trick. “He was the kind of guy who asked ‘pick a card, any card.’”

According to April Markowski, a senior sociology major on the softball team, she said the softball team was nervous to compete because they wanted to keep their winning streak from the past three years.

“We almost didn’t do it this year because we wanted to go undefeated,” Markowski said.

Markowski said the baseball and softball teams had competed together four years ago and decided to go for it again.

“We tried thinking of what’s new and we went for it,” Markowski said.

The teams reenacted a lip-sync battle where the softball team competed against the baseball team. While the women performed Miley Cyrus songs and a scene from “Titanic,” the men performed as Beyonce and N’Sync.

The chosen Eastern veterans will be recognized at the tournament as well as other veterans from OVC universities.

“This is a really cool way to raise money for the veterans, because it brings the athletes together in a fun and entertaining way,” Markowski said.

Shirmeen Ahmad can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]