Muldoon makes impact coming off the bench

Freshman forward Patrick Muldoon goes up for a shot during the Panthers’ 88-49 loss to Indiana on Nov. 13 in Bloomington, Ind.

Freshman forward Patrick Muldoon for the Eastern the basketball team, had an unlikely start to the sport of basketball.

Muldoon’s athletic career started on the soccer field when he was younger, excelling during the years he played, until he met his step-dad.

‘’I was a goalie and a center defender until I was about 13,’’ Muldoon said, ‘’My step-dad was a big basketball player growing up, once he met me he saw the potential I had to become a basketball player and he started a team for me when I was in eighth grade.’’

Although Muldoon grew up in a soccer family alongside his brothers, he eventually developed the skills for basketball and put in the work to become the force he is today for Eastern.

This season Muldoon has played in all 23 games thus far in the season averaging 16.9 minutes per game. He has scored 98 points on the year. His game high was 12 points against Marshall.

Muldoon’s field goal percentage is .472, shooting 47% from the field. He also averages 3.2 rebounds per game.

The off-season is a time when athletes reflect on their past season, but for others, it’s a time when they get stronger to benefit them in the coming season.

‘’For the past couple years, the biggest thing I work on in the off-season is gaining weight,’’ Muldoon said, ‘’Being stronger and getting to be stronger at the level that I’m at now is going to be needed.’’

As a high school player in Basehor, Kan. Muldoon earned All-State honors after he helped lead his team to the quarterfinal round of the state playoffs.

Coach Jay Spoonhour noticed the energy Muldoon brought to the game and recruited him because of his toughness on the court.

‘’Pat (Muldoon) has always been tough,’’ Spoonhour said. ‘’The fact is, you can never have too many tough, competitive guys. He is both of those things.’’

Muldoon knows the strength that he brings to the court is in his energy.

‘’Growing up I’ve always been someone who has provided a spark and I’m just an energy-type player.’’ Muldoon said. ‘’Having three older brothers growing up, it was always a hectic atmosphere and no matter what situation I’ve been in I’ve always been myself and have found myself in a leadership role.’’

Muldoon has become a reliable player off the bench, not only for Spoonhour, but for starting point guard Cornell Johnston as well.

‘’He brings a lot of energy on defense, ‘’ Johnston said. ‘’He’s one of the hardest playing guys on the basketball court at all times. He can shoot which helps because he’s always looking for a shot.’’

Muldoon has played the forward position his entire life, and is planning to put in work in the off-season to become a bigger and stronger asset to the team.

‘’What I like most about being a forward is that it is a grittier job.’’ Muldoon said. ‘’It’s more of a physical game. You’re down there fighting for rebounds, and being able to see the floor from a different perspective you become a voice for the team.’’

The Panthers are back in action on Saturday at 11 a.m. against Southeast Missouri in Lantz Arena.

Maria Baldwin can be reached at 581-2812 [email protected]