Column: Make memories during holiday break

Lynnsey Veach, Staff Reporter

When students think about coming home for the holidays this break, many might be dreading these upcoming weeks.

Thoughts like these may pop into their heads: “How am I going to survive three weeks at home with a curfew again when my family makes me want to drink?” or “How will I endure the relatives at Christmas dinner asking for the thousandth time if I have a boyfriend yet?”

I suggest that students look at winter break as a blessing for a time to see our family and loved ones.

The holidays aren’t just a time to open your presents or sleep in.

During your Christmas dinner, appreciate the time with your family.

Many people aren’t so lucky to have time with people they love.

I know that this holiday season won’t be the same for my family.

In years past, I always had my favorite person in the whole world sitting right beside me at the table for Christmas dinner.

This will be my third Christmas that my grandpa, or Pa-Pa as I always called him, won’t be here to eat his favorite noodles or make his funny remarks that I enjoyed during our traditional dinner.

My Pa-Pa passed away two and a half years ago after losing his short but intense battle with cancer.

He was the only blood grandparent I had left, since I had also lost my grandmother to this horrific disease before I was born.

There’s not a day where I don’t think of him and remember our beautiful days at the barn.

Whether it was cleaning the stalls of horse poop, playing with the barn kittens or letting Pa-Pa push me around in the wheelbarrow, those are memories that I treasure.

Now when I sit down for any holiday dinner, it’s just not the same as it used to be.

I only wish I could have one more dinner sitting next to him, because he made everything 10 times more enjoyable.

At least I was lucky enough to be his granddaughter for 17 years, and I’ll always reminisce on the good times I spent with him during the holiday season.

I do have some regrets. I wish I would have made more time to spend time with my Pa-Pa.

I’m still upset that I was sometimes was too focused on petty high school drama, my boyfriend at the time and things that didn’t mean nearly as much as quality time with him.

When I was sitting beside him at the table on Christmas Day 2012, I didn’t realize that would be our last Christmas together.

I hope everyone makes use of the time they have with friends and family on break.

Don’t leave your hometown without making at least one new memory with someone you love and care for.

Don’t just sleep in every day of break, play video games, or spend all day on Instagram. Make every moment count before you come back to a new semester at Eastern.

You never know who might be missing from your table next year.

Lynnsey Veach is a sophomore journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].