Student Government hosts Pets on Parade

Junior history major Alison Engstrom holds Koda, a 7-week-old husky, great pyrenees mix during ‘Pets on Parade’ on Tuesday in the Bridge Lounge of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Taylor Simon, Staff Reporter

The Student Government hosted Pets on Parade Tuesday where students showcased their pets at the last “Prowlin’ with the Prez” event of the semester.

The event included students bringing a variety of their pets and breeds such as cats, dogs and even a turtle to parade them to other students and their families.

Students brought their family and friends to watch and play with their pets while also judging them.

Each of the animals were brought to the Bridge Lounge in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union where they were judged on different subjects including overall appeal, personality and the uniqueness of their name.

The winner was Mel, a 16- year-old rat terrier Chihuahua mix that wooed the audience with a playful attitude and a cute bark.

Maralea Negron, a junior political science major and owner of Mel, described the feeling of winning first as “pretty great.”

Dogs dominated the leader board as fellow canines Champ and Kira took second and third place respectively and Tashi the Russian tortoise took honorable mention.

After the contest was over, all of the students and families played and interacted with the animals, including taking pictures for personal memories and to show off the animals.

President David Glassman judged the animals and interacted with the students. He was also was very pleased with the event.

“This is actually the largest group that we’ve had in an event.” Glassman said.

Another reason Glassman said he liked the event was because it allowed a pause from stress that students are facing with finals just around the corner.

“This was a great way to see great pets and for students to take a break from their papers and projects,” Glassman said.

Stephen Simpson, a member of student government and a judge during the event, was also pleased with the outcome and number of people.

“Last time we had an ice cream social and now we wanted to put a different spin so that there is something for everyone,” Simpson said.

Because of the difference the event scored the highest attendance of the “Prowlin’ with the Prez” series, as the Bridge Lounge was almost full of students, families and their pets.

Taylor Simon can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]