Column: What makes EIU stand out from the rest

Adam Shay, Staff Reporter

As a sophomore in college, it is safe to say that going to Eastern Illinois University has been the right fit for me.

As much as I loved being home over the summer, coming back to EIU could not have come any sooner.

One of my favorite aspects about Eastern is the size of the campus.

When I chose this college, I knew that having a campus that would be convenient for me would be most beneficial.

I am one that frequently emails teachers and asks questions.

Therefore, arranging a meeting with a teacher has been relatively easy for me because all of my main academic classes are within walking distance.

The farthest class that I have to walk to is from Lawson Hall to Old Main, which is only a ten to fifteen minute walk.

Not to mention, it’s very convenient for Eastern to have a high teacher per student ratio.

Aside from a couple of lecture classes, the majority of my general education courses have been in classrooms of under 30 people.

For me personally, that makes learning a lot easier considering it is easier to hear, pay attention, and ask for help.

The teachers have always been available when needed and are flexible considering the close walking distance.

Also, I have not had a teacher at EIU that I did not like, meaning that EIU picks an excellent staff.

Now for my favorite part about Eastern, the social aspect, which has been a blast so far.

What makes the social part so fun is that EIU is small allowing you to see more of your friends daily.  It is common for people to walk through the quads on campus and see a friend here and there.

With a relatively small student population you are almost guaranteed to have a friend or somebody you know in most of your classes.

This is very convenient when it comes to studying and working on homework or projects together.

This allows for extra assistance outside of class from students who may be having the same problems as you.

For me, that makes it easier to keep in touch with people.

When I have visited other schools, my friends will say that it can be a struggle meeting with friends unless someone has a car.

At Eastern, I have yet to encounter that problem.

Here is a problem that everyone can relate to: spending money.

As a sophomore, I have already had a year of dorm food under my belt.

Yes, it can be tasty. However, it can get old.

The local restaurants near EIU have been great because of three factors: location, price and quality.

Some of the local restaurants, such as Bamca (Mexican food), Joey’s (local grill) and Smokey’s (BBQ food), are all within walking or short driving distance. Plus, they are worth the trip.

The prices of these restaurants are reasonable and all have nice employees.

From personal experiences, all of those dives are delicious.

They all have a different style and more authentic taste to them, rather than the chain restaurants I have where I am from.

EIU has been great to me for my first two years, and I know I will continue to enjoy the rest of my time here.

Every day I wake up in Lawson Hall 713 and know that I made the right decision.

Adam Shay is sophomore  journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].