Community service office has more end-year events planned

Mackenzie Freund, City Editor

Even with the fall semester coming to a close, the Student Community Service Office still has opportunities for students to get involved.

Rachel Fisher, the director of student community service, said a few more key programs will be taking place over the next couple of weeks.

The fourth annual Holiday Hustle 5k for the One Stop Community Christmas will be at 9 a.m. Saturday on the Old Main Lawn.

The office is also partnering with One Stop Community Christmas to help distribute 1,000 blankets to the local community on Dec. 12, Fisher said.

Fisher said the students who have volunteered are on their way to reaching more than 150,000 service hours for the academic year.

Fisher said this has been another great semester for volunteerism and civil engagement, and she is proud of the “amazing” and giving spirit of Eastern.

“Also, this year, we have seen more students volunteering to do work within their academic interest,” Fisher said. “We are so pleased to provide such a wide variety of contacts and opportunities.”

Fisher said one of the successful service programs this semester is the after school program, PLAY, which has reached the highest number of youths since the program began two years ago.

The people behind the planning of the service projects are community and non-profit leaders and students who work for the office.

The student community service team consists of two graduate students and other student staff members that help Fisher and Crystal Brown, the assistant director of the Student Community Service Office, create, coordinate and lead different projects.

“A great number of our projects come from the wants, interests and needs from both students and community members,” Fisher said. “In many cases, we create new projects based on feedback so all ideas are welcome.”

New service projects are added to the community service plans based on the interests and needs of the local agencies as well as the interests of the Eastern students.

Fisher said she wanted to let people to know the importance of working hard and making a difference by volunteering.

“We have the opportunity to make the difference every day; seize the moment,” Fisher said.

Fisher said the office is committed to its students and its community.

Mackenzie Freund can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].