MIA table honors fallen soldiers

Cassie Buchman

A table in the University Union’s Bridge Lounge was set up Monday to honor POWs, MIAs, and others who have fallen in service.

Cassie Buchman, Administration Editor

A plate, with a lemon wedge and salt to signify the loss of veterans, sat on the table of the bridge lounge in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. A wineglass was inverted to show that the soldier would not be present and the candle, which was unable to be lit because of university regulations and a single red rose stood for the fallen.

These items were in remembrance of soldiers who were Missing in Action, Prisoners of War, or have died in service.

T.J. Prater, a sophomore communication studies major who works in the Military Student Assistance Center, said the table was basically for the men and women who did not come home.

“This whole week we’re setting up something every day, and today this is just what we set up,” Prater said.

This will be the only day the table is set up.

“Most people who aren’t military and don’t ask questions see it and they’re just like, ‘oh that’s just a set up for veterans,’” Prater said. “For veterans and active duty personnel, they understand the meaning of this.”

Prater said it was important to have the table out.

Nichole Ogilvie, a sophomore athletic training major, said they had a table set up for the Marine Corps at Buffalo Wild Wings that received a good response.

“You don’t realize people are veterans or military affiliated,” Ogilvie said. “They kind of chimed in when they saw the ceremony and took pictures. It’s cool to see people coming out of the woodworks.”

Ogilvie said some of the military affiliated people they saw last year would say “Semper Fi,” which is the motto of the Marine Corps.

“Whatever their branch was, (it was kind of) a ‘hey, how are you?’ kind of thing,” Ogilvie said. “It was more of a subtle thing, not really a big to-do.”

Ogilvie said it was good to keep the camaraderie going.

“It helps,” she said. “It’s always good to remember those who were still missing and who have not come back.”

Ogilvie has served in the Army and Prater served in the Marine Corps before going to the National Guard, and has known people who have died in service.

Prater said the table helped him remember them.

Prater said he still felt camaraderie in the National Guard as he had when he was in the Marine Corps, but the two branches are a lot different.

Ogilvie and Prater are also a part of the Student Veteran’s Association at Eastern and Ogilvie said they are always trying to set up new functions and building their group population; she said the group was a huge resource for veterans.

“There’s ways they can find jobs after, there’s lots of connections,” Ogilvie said. “The help to transition from military to civilian life is there.”

Cassie Buchman can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].