Depth to be key for swim teams at Evansville

Sophomore Stephen Truchon. swims the Men's 100 fly against Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Mackenzie Freund
Sophomore Stephen Truchon. swims the Men’s 100 fly against Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis

The Eastern men’s and women’s swim team will dive back into competition this weekend for the first time in two weeks when they swim at Evansville.

The Panthers started their season when they swam in the Illinois Invitational on Oct. 16 and hosted Indiana-Purdue University Oct. 17.

When the Panthers were at the Illinois Invitational, the women swam against Illinois, Olivet Nazarene and Western. The men only swam against Western and Olivet Nazarene.

Only the women were able to grab a win over the weekend as they out-swam Western by a score of 241.50-171.50.

This weekend’s meet against Evansville will be a close one according to coach Jacqueline Michalski.

“It should be a very close meet,” Michalski said. “It’s going to come down to finishes for a lot of things.”

Since the Panthers have had two weeks since their last meet, they have had time to go back and look to see where they need to improve.

Michalski said that this past week, the teams have been focusing on the little things as to where they can get better.

Evansville and Eastern are pretty evenly matched so the little things may play a factor in who touches the wall first.

“A lot of the things that we’re strong in, (Evansville) is strong in also,” Michalski said. “We’re pretty strong in our 50 freestyle with Shane (Witzki).”

Michalski added that freshman Jennings Soccorso and sophomore Stephen Truchon add some depth to the men’s 50-yard freestyle.

Two weeks ago, junior Brogan O’Doherty won the men’s 100-yard backstroke and had a second place finish in the 50-yard backstroke.

The times posted by O’Doherty last weekend were some of the best that he has had under Michalski. Michalski is in her second year as the coach of the Panthers.

The same is expected on the women’s side as both Evansville and Eastern have swimmers who post similar times.

Senior Kelsey Ferguson has had a strong start to her final season Michalski said. Ferguson swims in the individual medley.

“Kelsey has swam her fastest she has swam since she has been here in season,” Michalski said. “(Evansville) has an IM’er that’s close to her.”

Ferguson also swims in the breaststroke as well as senior Joann Wakefield where Michalski said they have a lot of strength.

Evansville is not as strong as Eastern in the breaststroke event, though.

The Panthers will be swimming the 100’s and 200’s of stroke this weekend along with the sprint relays.

Senior Kaylee Morris is one of the top sprinters for the Panthers according to Michalski.

“Having her be able to shine in those 50’s, that will be really strong for us,” Michalski said.

Michalski said the team is hoping to have a better focus than last time going into this meet.

“We weren’t on our game so we hope for this weekend to have everything kind of ready for the meet,” Michalski said.

The meet is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. Saturday in Evansville.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]