Women’s soccer drops final two road games

Elias Albert, Staff Reporter

Eastern went 0-2 over the weekend after losing a pair of road games to OVC opponents Austin Peay Friday and Murray State Sunday.

With the loss, Eastern falls to 3-13-2 overall and 1-7-1 within OVC play.

In the game against Austin Peay, Eastern was outshot 19-2 on the offensive end. Only one Eastern shot managed to reach on-goal.

Eastern was also out cornered 7-1 in what was their 11th shutout loss of the season.

All three of Austin Peay’s goals came in the second half, the first of which came in the 69th minute.

Freshman Goalkeeper Maddie Lyon was strong in the first half with her eight saves off 10 Austin Peay shots.

In the second half, Austin Peay’s offense opened up and they scored off a ball they hit the post of the goal. They added two more after the 80th minute of the game for a 3-0 victory.

Austin Peay is now 7-9, 3-5 in OVC play with nine points.

On Sunday, Murray State outshot Eastern 28-6 during the game and 18-4 during the second half specifically.

The scoring for Murray State began early as they found the back of the net in the 21th minute.

In the second half, Murray State began their three-score burst in the 66th minute to come away with a 4-0 win.

Freshman goalkeeper Liz Carmody entered the game in relief of Lyon in 55th minute of the game.

Murray State is now 12-4, and 8-0 in OVC play with 24 points.

During the weekend, Eastern’s offensive chances came from a handful of players.

Junior forward Kathleen MacKinnon recorded three shots over the weekend to lead the team.

Freshman midfielder Kaci Schonert, freshman midfielder Elizabeth Held and senior forward Molly Hawkins also added shot attempts during the two games.

Eastern has now lost four-straight games and five games on the road. They sit in last place in the OVC with four points.

In addition, Eastern has been shutout in each of their last four games.

They’ll see the field for the last time in the regular season on Thursday as they host Southern Illinois- Edwardsville at 3 p.m.

SIUE enters the game at 5-10-3 and 2-6-1 within OVC play.

Elias Albert can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]