Men’s and women’s golf teams’ in last place in tournaments

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

The Eastern men’s golf team is in last place at the F&M Bank APSU Intercollegiate at The Links at Novadell Golf Course after the first two rounds.

The Panthers shot a 581 as a team at the par-72 course. Besides being in last place, freshman Alvaro Hernandez continues his hot stretch as he shot a 5-under, 67 and a 1-under, 71 in the first two rounds of the tournament.

Hernandez is tied for seventh place overall as an individual.

Junior Ryan Hughes also had a good day as he shot a 2-under, 70 in the first round and a 2-over, 74 in the second round.

Senior Austin Sproles shot a 149 overall in the first two rounds with scores of 3-over, 75 and a 2-over, 74.

Ohio Valley Conference member Tennessee-Martin finds itself in first place after shooting 21-under as a team.

The Skyhawks, as a team, had seven rounds from their players that were under par for the day.

Tennessee-Martin had two players shoot 65’s. Hunter Richardson and Benn Reeves shot 7-under, 65 in round two of the tournament.

Richardson currently leads the entire field with a 133 and Reeves is tied for fourth place with a 136.

Belmont, Western Illinois, Missouri State and Murray State round out the top-five teams after two rounds of play.

Belmont is tied for first place with Tennessee-Martin shooting a 555.

The men’s team will tee off at 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Women in 15th place after round one

The Eastern women sit in last place out of 15 teams after one round of the Dayton Fall Invitational at the NCR North Course in Kettering, Ohio.

The Panthers shot 69-over par with a score of 349 as a team. Eastern is 12 strokes behind Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne and Detroit University.

Junior Chloe Wong led the Panthers with a 15-over, 85 after the first round of the tournament. Sophomore Hannah Magda finished 17-over. Right behind Magda was junior Alex Pickens who finished with an 18-over, 88 and is in 72nd place overall.

Grand Valley State finds itself in first place after shooting 24-over as a team. Gabrielle Shipley finished with a 2-over, 72. Shipley pared 14 of the 18 holes in the first round and birdied one.

Samantha Moss finished 4-over for the tournament after she shot even on the front nine and 4-over on the back nine.

The University of Indianapolis sits in second place, behind them is the University of Findlay. Oakland University rounds out the top-four teams for the first round.

Sophomore Kasey Petty from Findlay shot a 1-over 71 in the first round. Elle Nichols placed second after round one as well.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]