City council to vote on annexation plans

Mackenzie Freund, City Editor

The Charleston City Council will have a public hearing about a plan to annex more property into the city limits Tuesday.

The planned property to be voted on is located at the southeast corner of the city limits at the 2600 block of 18th Street.

The property is approximately 1.9 acres and is currently open, wooded and vacant, according to the plot ordinance.

The meeting will begin with the hearing at 6:15 p.m. before the scheduled start time of 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Charleston City Hall.

Along with voting on the proposed annexation of property, the council will vote to approve or reject the consent agenda.

Three different raffle licenses are on the consent agenda with recommendations to be approved.

The Ashmore Parent-Teacher Organization has requested a raffle license in order to raise money for field trips and extracurricular activities, according to their license application.

The raffle sales will begin on Nov. 13 until the announcement of the winners on Dec. 8.

The Charleston Chill Softball Organization also put in a raffle application to raise money to help with tournament entries, equipment and uniform costs.

The players in the organization will be selling raffle tickets from Oct. 23 to Dec. 5 and the winners are planning to be announced on Dec. 6 at 6:30 p.m.

The last raffle license request is for the Eastern Illinois University Fraternal Order of Police.

They plan to begin selling their tickets around Eastern’s campus on Oct. 22 through Nov. 14.

The Fraternal Order of Police is to sell raffle tickets to bring awareness of police work while also raising money for the organization.

The council will also be voting on the consent agenda to make Oct. 18- Oct. 24 as National Business Women’s Week.

Mackenzie Freund can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]