NAACP has big fish to fry

Tori Griffith, Staff Reporter

The Eastern chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is having its second annual fish fry at 4 p.m. at the Cultural Center, Wednesday.

The meals will be $5 per plate and they will include fried fish, spaghetti, bread and a drink.

Monisha Curry, the president of Eastern’s NAACP, said this event will bring a sense of unity to campus and will give students a chance to get away from the same food in the dining hall.

Curry said the funds go directly toward their organization, but that other fundraisers they have had in the past go toward the community.

This is the second year that NAACP has hosted this event. Although there are those who do not eat fish, Curry said the popularity of the meal suited the needs of majority of the students on campus.

This event is not only a fundraiser for the organization, but it gives students the opportunity to socialize, meet new people, and also work on networking skills, Curry said.

Curry said activities would include music and a table to play card games at after eating.

“If you know that you want to have an event like this you have to take it step by step, you have to get your room reserved, you have to make sure that your executive board are all in (agreement),“ Curry said. “You have to be able to publicize your event to get the name out there.”

Curry said the fish fry can be traced to southern cultures, and she has seen events like this bring together family, friends, and provides a way to give people a chance to take their minds off things like work and school.

“Proper planning, effective communication, wanting to give back to your community and wanting to bring unity to your campus is what keeps events like these up and running,” Curry said.

Curry said NAACP plans to stand solid on this annual event; they plan on making this event better so it can continue and not end after the second year of them hosting it.

This event is not limited to the African-American community; Curry said NAACP encourages people of all ethnic backgrounds to come out and enjoy the event.

Torri Griffith can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]