‘Cash Flow Fever’ to show money transfer between U.S. and El Salvador

AJ Fournier, Staff Reporter

Students interested in the South American country of El-Salvador can gain more knowledge by attending the screening of “Cash Flow Fever” at 5 p.m. in room 1255 of Coleman hall, Wednesday.

“Cash Flow Fever,” is a documentary screening sponsored by the department of geology and department of foreign languages.

The message of the screening is to show how students live in a world where working abroad will soon increase.

Professor of geography Betty Smith, said students are encouraged to come the event for an educational experience.

The documentary focuses on the hidden transfer of money between the United States economy and everyday citizens of El-Salvador.

Smith said another purpose for showing the documentary is to shed light on cash flow between the U.S. and other countries. It also reflects the cost and benefits for families who work abroad and send money to their loved ones.

The film would solve a lack of understanding in global unemployment by expanding students’ knowledge of working abroad and stirring up questions of a different world outside of their normal social and cultural circle, said Smith.

“Today we live in a transnational world,” Smith said. “Many individuals and families are temporarily and sometimes permanently migrating to live and work in more prosperous locations, often separated by great distance from their homes.”

Smith said students who attend the event are going to receive a new perception about foreign workers in the U.S.; she said the documentary is also being shown in hopes of stimulating curiosity in the audiences’ minds about the social and economic issues in international workers’ lives.

Smith said she hopes the audience leaves with an understanding of why some people choose to study and live abroad.

Smith said when students come to the event they should imagine themselves as a member of the family in the documentary and how to go about the circumstances the documented family went through.

“Without a personal story it is often difficult for us to understand why so many people leave their homes and why some choose not to leave, choosing poverty over family separation,” Smith said.

AJ Fournier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]