Transfer students speak about move to Eastern

Sydney Edwards, Copy Editor

Eastern transfer students from left to right: Allan DeOrnellas, Amy Gebka, Emily Oxford, Hilary Rhode and Derek Wunder spoke at the 42nd Annual Community College Articulation Conference Wednesday in the Unversity Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr., Unversity Union. The students spoke about their experiences as community college students versus university students.
Sydney Edwards

Eastern transfer students spoke about their experiences in community college compared to university at the 42nd annual Community College Articulation on Wednesday.

All of the panel members studied at community colleges before transferring to Eastern.

One panel member, Derek Wunder, a junior communication studies major, said he decided to pick Eastern after he was done at the community college he attended.

“ISU (Illinois State University) gives a nice tour, but I just knew something was missing,” Wunder said. “Then I visited Eastern, and I realized that it had what ISU was missing.”

Wunder said he loves the sense of family and the fun atmosphere Eastern provides.

Other members of the panel, such as Amy Gebka, a senior communication studies major, said she chose Eastern because of the cost.

“It’s a great education for not a lot,” Gebka said.

Hilary Rhode, a senior family and consumer sciences major, mentioned that the small-town feel was a reason that she picked Eastern.

“I like that we have Textbook Rental,” Rhode said. “Also, I am from a really small town (and) went to a small high school, so I like that Eastern is not a huge campus. You don’t get lost in the crowd.”

The panel members talked about what their community colleges did to help them while they were at Eastern.

Allan DeOrnellas, a senior elementary education major, said he learned skills while in community college that made his time at Eastern a bit simpler.

“I’m not struggling at EIU because of community college,” DeOrnellas said. “I learned how to write and what to expect in the college classroom.”

Gebka said community college is not what people think.

“Community college is what the individual makes it out to be,” Gebka said.

All the students on the panel agreed the transition to a university was not easy, but Eastern made it as easy as it could get.

Emily Oxford, an early childhood education major, said Eastern helped her with her transition.

“Nothing could be improved to help the transfer. EIU did all they could,” Oxford said.

The students said PROWL weekend was big in helping them with the transfer.

Oxford said it was a good way for her to meet new friends.

After they settled into campus, the students said they were able to get involved and felt more comfortable on campus.

The students agreed Eastern is a place of many opportunities.

“Eastern sets you up to do it all, even if you don’t know you want to do it all,” Gebka said.

Sydney Edwards can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]