Women’s golf team falls to last place after day 1

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

The Eastern women’s golf team sits in last place out of 10 teams in the Loyola Fall Invitational at the par-72 Flossmoor Country Club in Flossmoor after day one of the tournament.

The Panthers finished the first two rounds with a score of 674, shooting their best team score in the first round with a 331.

Eastern shot a team total of 343 in round two of the tournament.

Sophomore Anne Bahr continued to lead the way for Eastern, shooting a 10-over, 82 and a 13-over, 85 in her first two rounds for a two-round total of 167.

Bahr is currently tied for 35th place in a field of 61 golfers.

Junior Chloe Wong started the day at 9-over, when she shot an 81 in the first round. Wong then struggled in round two shooting a 15-over, 87. Wong is tied for 37th place.

Alex Pickens finished the day just one stroke behind won after shooting a two-round total of 169. Like Wong, Pickens shot a 9-over, 81 in round one, but struggled in round two shooting a 16-over, 88.

Sophomore Hannah Magda and freshman Katlyn Hasprey rounded out the Panther field with a 173 and 174, respectively.

Southern Illinois-Carbondale sits atop the field of 10 schools after day 1 of the tournament.

The Salukis shot a team total of 619 for the for the day and sit nine strokes ahead of Chicago State.

Southern Illinois shot a 305 in round one and had three women shoot in the 70’s. Freshman Sun Young Jung and senior Mattie Lindner shot a 2-over, 74 in the first round. Also, junior Kristie Yang shot a 5-over, 77.

Jung, who sits in second place overall, shot a 3-over, 75 in the second round and helped her team overall shoot a 314.

Junior Brooke Cusamano shot a 5-over, 77 in round two and is tied in 11th place overall with a total score of 157.

Lidner sits in fifth place after shooting an 8-over, 80 in round two.

Chicago State sits nine strokes behind Southern Illinois and was led by freshman Rachel Johnson who fired a 1-over, 73 in round one and a 5-over, 77 in round two.

Senior Taneka Sandiford shot a 9-over, 81 in round one and came back strong in round two, shooting a 4-over 76.

The Cougars were also paced by junior Fernanda Valdes-Solis, who is tied for 16th place overall.

Valdez-Solis shot a total score of 159 after shooting a 6-over, 78 and a 9-over, 81 in the first two rounds.

Butler University sits in third place after shooting a team score of 635 for the tournament.

Sophomore Kelsey McDougall, freshman Lauren Tibbets and senior Christine Cates all had rounds in the 70’s.

McDougall sits in sixth place after shooting a 7-over, 79 and a 4-over 76 in the first couple of rounds. Tibbets shot two rounds of 79, while Cates shot a 79 in the first round.

Evansville and Loyola round out the top five teams after the first day of the tournament. Evansville shot a team score of 639, while Loyola is one stroke behind the Purple Aces.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]