Sproles ties low round total in day one of Murray State Invite

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

Eastern senior golfer Austin Sproles tied for the lowest round by any golfer in the Murray State Invitational Monday in Murray, Ky.

Sproles shot a 2-under, 69 in the first round of the tournament at the par-71 Miller Memorial Golf Course, along with three other golfers.

Sproles then struggled in the second round in the afternoon, shooting a 13-over, 84 for a total of 153. He is tied for 39th place heading into Tuesday’s final round.

The golfers played two rounds Monday and will start at 9 a.m. Tuesday for the final round of the tournament.

As a team, the Panthers sit in eighth place after shooting a team total of 613. The Panthers shot a team score of 296 in round one and 317 in round two.

Eastern had three golfers shoot under 75 in the first round, including Sproles. Freshman Alvaro Hernandez shot a 3-over, 74 and junior Daniel Hughes shot an even par, 71.

Hernandez also shot a round of 74 in the afternoon in round two and is tied for 16th place overall.

Hughes finished round two with an 8-over, 79 and is tied for 26th.

Sophomore Alex Gowin shot two rounds of 82, and freshman Kevin Altenberger shot a 167 for the two rounds combined.

Host Murray State sits atop the leaderboard after shooting a team score of 572.

The Racers shot a 285 in round one and a 287 in round two.

Senior Brock Simmons leads the Racers after shooting a 1-under, 70 in the first round and then fired an even-par 71 in the afternoon.

Simmons is the leader after the first day and teammate junior Matt Zakutney sits in second place, one stroke behind Simmons.

Zakutney shot a 2-under, 69 in the first round and came back with a 2-over, 73 in the second round.

Senior Jared Gosser also is in the top 10 for individuals. Gosser shot a 76 in the first round and came back with a low round of 69 for Murray State.

Tennessee Tech sits in second place for the tournament after the first day.

Senior Bryce Kendrick fired off a low round of 69 in the second round of the tournament after shooting a 74 in the first round. Kendrick sits in tied for third place overall.

As a team, the Golden Eagles shot a team score of 578.

The Golden Eagles had four players in the top 10, including Kendrick.

Senior Neal Gannaway shot a total of 144 for the tournament, including a 1-under, 70 in round one. Senior Mitchell Thomas shot a score of 146. Adam Cunningham shot a 146 as well with a 5-over, 76 in the first round and a 1-under, 70 in round two.

Wright State finished in third for the day as they shot a team score of 585.

Wright State had two players finish in the top 10 after senior Conner Lash shot a 144, and junior Ryan Wenzler shot a 146.

Rounding out the top five was Alabama State, shooting a team score of 586 and Tennessee State, shooting a team score of 604.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]