Eastern women’s basketball team releases schedule

Sean Hastings, Assistant Sports Editor

Bh’rea Griffin, a freshmen guard, brings the ball up court in the women’s basketball January 31, 2015 in Lantz Arena against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
Kevin Hall

The Eastern women’s basketball team released their 2015-2016 schedule last week and are set to play 12 non-conference games before Ohio Valley Conference play starting on Dec. 31.

The Panthers posted a 10-20 overall record last season and a 7-9 OVC record. Tennessee-Martin defeated the Panthers in the first round of the OVC tournament 68-35.

UT-Martin went on to win the OVC tournament against Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville.

Eastern will host 13 games this season including the season opener Nov. 13 against Indiana-Purdue University of Indianapolis.

Before the Panthers start their OVC play, they will play in-state rivals Northern Illinois and Western Illinois. The Huskies will host Eastern on Nov. 24 and Western will come to Eastern Dec. 2.

Eastern beat the Huskies at Lantz Arena last year 55-46, but lost to the Leathernecks 63-54.

Before OVC play starts, the Panthers will travel to Chicago to take on Illinois-Chicago. UIC won the only matchup between the schools last year by a score of 78-66.

To open up conference play, the Panthers will travel to Cookeville, Tenn. Dec. 31to take on Tennessee Tech.

Eastern got the win against Tennessee Tech 67-59.

The first OVC game at Lantz Arena will be Jan. 6 when Eastern will take on Tennessee State.

Tennessee State defeated the Panthers in the only meeting of the year 57-44.

Before playing three games in a row at home against Eastern Kentucky, Morehead State, and UT Martin the Panthers will travel to Nashville, Tenn. to take on Belmont Jan. 9.

Eastern beat Eastern Kentucky 68-42 last season and also beat Belmont 77-72. Morehead State and UT Martin both won their games against the Panthers by scores of 67-62 and 81-51 respectively.

SIUE will host Eastern for an instate rivalry game Jan. 30. After playing the Cougars, the Panthers will have three straight games at home.

Southeast Missouri will come to Eastern Feb. 6, Austin Peay will be here Feb. 10, and Murray State will take on the Panthers in Lantz Arena Feb. 17.

Southeast Missouri will then host the Panthers on Feb. 20 in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

The Panthers will wrap up their 2015-2016 season with a game against SIUE Feb. 27 at Lantz Arena.

The OVC tournament will be March 3. in Nashville, Tenn.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]