McDonald earns OVC honors after first start

Blake Nash, Staff Reporter

In his first start at middle linebacker, junior Seth McDonald led the Panthers’ defense with 17 tackles in a 33-5 loss to Western Illinois last Thursday. McDonald, who recorded 12 solo tackles, was named the Ohio Valley Conference defensive player of the week for his performance.

His 17 tackles led all players in the Football Championship Subdivision, while his 12 solo tackles are the second-highest in the nation and in school history for one game. Senior outside linebacker Kamu Grugier-Hill recorded 19 tackles in a victory at Tennessee Tech last season.

McDonald has taken over the position, after the graduation of Adam Gristick.

Defensively, the Panthers held the Leathernecks rushing attack to 77 yards, but gave up two rushing touchdowns in the loss. Redshirt sophomore defensive back Vince Speller was the only other Panther to record double-digit tackles. He had 12 tackles, including eight that were solo.

OVC teams fall to FBS opponents

A total of three OVC teams opened the season against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents last week. Tennessee-Martin traveled to Oxford, Miss. to take on the No. 15 ranked team in the country Ole Miss.

The Rebels showed why they were one of the top teams in the country and the Southeastern Conference last season by defeating the Skyhawks 76-3. The Ole Miss offense totaled 662 yards, while using three quarterbacks in the contest.

Its 76 points were the most for Ole Miss in 80 years.

The Skyhawks were limited to 290 yards, including 174 yards passing. Quarterback Jarod Neal took most of their snaps, completing 13-of-24 passes for 139 yards. He also threw an interception.

Southeast Missouri also fell to a ranked SEC team on Saturday. The Redhawks were defeated by in-state foe Missouri, 34-3, who was ranked No. 23 heading into the contest.

Missouri was led by junior quarterback Maty Mauk, who completed 12-of-22 passes for 181 yards and two touchdowns. The Tigers outgained the Redhawks 417-20, including 319 yards through the air.

Southeast Missouri scored its only points on a 35-yard field goal by Ryan McCrum

Tennessee Tech also played an FBS opponent last week. The Golden Eagles traveled to Houston where they fell to the Cougars 52-24. Houston quarterback Greg Ward finished with three touchdowns, including two rushing.

Ward ran for 107 yards on 13 carries, including a 41-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. He also completed 21-of-28 passes for 275 yards and a touchdown. The Cougars defense held the Skyhawks to 29 yards on 33 carries.

Gamecocks win Top 10 matchup

Jacksonville State won its first game of the season, as the No. 7 Gamecocks defeated No. 8 Chattanooga 23-20 on the road. A 4th quarter scoring drive of 5:75, ended when running back Miles Jones leaped over the line and into the end zone to give the Gamecocks the lead with 2:41 remaining.

The next drive by Chattanooga would end with a quarterback sack, to preserve the victory for Jacksonville State.

The Gamecocks were led by quarterback Eli Jenkins, who ran for 298 yards and threw for 123. The Gamecocks totaled 411 yards of offense in the game.

Blake Nash can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]