Tarble exhibits feature past, present art faculty

File Photo

Retired art professor Jeff Boshart and Retired Dean James Johnson strap down a sculpture to a trailer Dec. 4, 2014 outside of Doudna Fine Arts Center. Boshart and Johnson both have works featured in the current “Above and Beyond” 3-D art exhibit in the Tarble Arts Center.

Derrin Coad, Staff Reporter

The Tarble Arts Center is set to host a reception Sunday for two of its most recent summer exhibitions featuring the works of past and present art faculty.

“Above and Beyond: Work by 3D Emeritus Art Faculty,” which is on display at Tarble from June 6 to Aug. 2, will be one of the exhibitions shown at the reception.

Tarble’s Assistant Director Mike Schuetz said the exhibition is the “brainchild” of Jeff Boshart, who is one of the emeritus professors in the exhibition.

“(Boshart’s) intention was not only to feature the emeritus EIU 3-D art faculty to showcase their efforts, but to also pay tribute to them as working artists,” Schuetz said.

“Above and Beyond” features the works of seven emeritus professors that demonstrates each artist’s specialties, including ceramics, sculptures, fibers, jewelry and metals.

The participating artists in the exhibition are Boshart, Bill Heyduck, James K. Johnson, Suzan Braun, Cary Knoop, June Krutza and Garrett DeRuiter. Schuetz said he anticipates all of the artists, with the exception of the deceased Krutza and DeRuiter, will be present at Sunday’s reception.

Also included in the reception will be the exhibition “Sites Unseen,” which will be on display Saturday through July 19 in Tarble’s Brainard Gallery.

Schuetz said “Sites Unseen” would consist of 10 to 12 drawings, prints and etchings by artist Kasey Ramirez, who has recently been teaching printmaking at Eastern.

Schuetz said this exhibition would be “a nice farewell for Ramirez,” who will be leaving Eastern this summer for another job.

Schuetz said he hopes the reception will see its fair share of visitors despite taking place during the summer when a majority of students are away from campus.

“Hopefully having paired up the two exhibitions together into one reception will help boost attendance, but we would be happy to have a hundred people show up,” Schuetz said.

The reception will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Tarble Art Center’s Atrium. Schuetz also said the reception is free to the public, and food and refreshments will be provided.

Derrin Coad can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].