CHS athlete enjoys hometown state finals

Jehad Abbed, News Editor

Junior four-sport athlete Morgan Sherwood represented Charleston High School this weekend during the Illinois High School Association girls track and field state finals at O’Brien Field.

Sherwood was one of several Trojans who qualified for the state meet, which is held just a mile from CHS’s facilities.

Many of the athletes participating are forced to travel for hours coming from all parts of Illinois while the Trojans are afforded the luxury of competing at high school’s highest level within walking distance of their school’s lobby doors.

Sherwood said she likes the advantage of having the state track meet in her hometown.

“It definitely helps,” Sherwood said. “I came up here during the week and was walking around. Just visualizing and preparing for this day.”

The advantages do not stop at short travel times. Sherwood said she has friends and family who are from towns close enough to come cheer her on, which is a benefit many of her opponents do not get.

“It’s nice having that support system,” Sherwood said.

Sherwood competes in field events such as high jump, long jump, triple jump and the discus throw during the regular season. She said it is difficult to balance all the events while doing her best to make sure she practices well enough for each one.

She qualified for the state meet in the high jump and discus after recording a new discus personal record with a 119 foot throw in the sectional meet, 2 feet further than her previous best.

Sherwood said 110 feet was a good throw during her sophomore season, but has since grown to expect more of herself.

“I’ve gotten a lot better this season compared to last season,” She said. “This season I’m upset if I’m not throwing 115.”

Sherwood does not have a throwing coach who is able to help her with discus, which she described as one of her biggest struggles through the season.

Sherwood plays volleyball, golf and basketball when she is not making the rounds of her field events.

She said this is the first year she has qualified for the state track meet since eigth grade.

Jehad Abbed can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].