Many offices to see reduced hours for summer months

Derrin Coad, Staff Reporter

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated with correct times for Booth Library’s summer hours.

In an effort to save money on energy costs, many office buildings on Eastern’s campus will close early on Fridays during the summer months.

According to a newsletter from President Bill Perry on May 1, this money-saving strategy has occurred for the last several years and has saved the college approximately $500,000 in energy costs per summer.

Campus office buildings that are affected by this rule will reduce hours by closing at noon on Fridays instead of the usual 4:30 p.m. closing time that is normally required.

The office buildings that take part in this administrative move will have their air conditioners turned off at noon on Fridays and will remain off throughout the weekend.

Summer classes that have been scheduled on Friday afternoons or weekends in buildings with reduced air-conditioning will be moved to buildings with full air conditioning.

All Eastern office buildings will remain open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

Some offices that are not affected and that will remain open during usual business hours include the president’s office, the admissions office, financial aid, University Police Department, cashier’s office and the Renewable Energy Center.

Ryan Siegel, the campus energy and sustainability coordinator, said this money-saving method has worked well in previous years.

“EIU is constantly striving to reduce energy consumption, but the weekend setback has the largest impact,” Siegel said.

Booth Library’s summer hours have been shortened from its usual school year hours, as the library will continue to open at 8 a.m. and will close at 10 p.m. instead of the usual 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday. Booth Library will continue to be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays.

The library will also be closed on Sundays until June 21, at which point the library will be open from 2 to 10 p.m. on Sundays for the rest of the summer. The library is open on Saturdays for its regular 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. hours.

The Student Recreation Center has had its hours changed from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. for the summer, reducing down four and a half hours per day from the usual school year hours.

Regular hours for all campus buildings will resume Aug. 17, one week before the start of the fall semester.

Derrin Coad can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].