Seniors prepare for commencement ceremony

Marcus Curtis, Staff Reporter

For select Eastern students, May 9 marks the date of their commencement, a day that symbolizes more than a few steps across the stage for some.

Keaira Dates, a senior family and consumer sciences major and soon to be Eastern graduate, said when she thinks about graduating she gets nervous and happy at the same time.

“That was my goal, to graduate in four years, so I feel accomplished,” Dates said.

Malcolm Jackson, a senior business management major and who is graduating next week, also said he is happy and relieved that he will be graduating.

“Like weight is lifted off my shoulders,” Jackson said. “I’m just ready to put on my cap and gown and see my parents cry with tears of joy as I walk across the stage; I’m ready to begin the new chapter in my life.”

DeAnna Willis, a graduating senior kinesiology and sports studies major, said she takes pride in graduating in four years considering her extracurricular activities.

“I felt proud about graduating on time; it’s a big accomplishment, especially being a student-athlete having a hard schedule,” Willis said. “It’s something to take pride in.”

For the fiscal year of 2014, only 2,787 of the 3,777 undergraduate seniors and second-year graduate students graduated. The small difference between 2014’s 2,787 graduating students and 2013’s 2,837 graduating students builds mixed feelings for students who have to watch their friends from the stage.

Dates said she wishes she could share the moment of graduating with her friends.

“I wish I could share this that moment with some of my close friends who aren’t graduating this semester,” she said.

Other students like Jackson and Willis, said they wish they could share the graduating moment with their friends but they support their friends in their journey toward graduating.

“As long as my peers graduate I’m proud of them, no matter how long it takes them,” Willis said.

Jackson said he has experienced watching his friends walk across the stage prior to walking across the stage himself.

“I didn’t graduate on time, and that only pushed me to work harder to walk across the stage as my peers did,” he said.

Jackson also said he doesn’t fault anyone for taking more time to get their degree.

“I feel that everyone goes at their own pace, and their graduation time will eventually come.”

All graduating seniors will also receive a free Warbler Yearbook in honor of their accomplishment. The yearbooks can be picked up at the same time as caps and gowns, between Wednesday and Friday prior to the commencement ceremony. Cap and gown pick up is from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Gina Volk, senior journalism major and editor-in-chief for the yearbook, said the yearbooks are limited to 900 copies because of student fees funding the printing of the books. Volk said the yearbooks are reserved for the seniors as a nice gesture and so they can reminisce on their last year at Eastern.

With that being said, Volk said it is important for seniors to pick up their yearbooks early.

The theme of this year’s yearbook is “What makes EI[You] different?” Volk said the theme of the yearbook derived from individuals that make up this campus and how they make it unique despite the low enrollment.

“Our book focuses on profiles and features of individuals that help make this year special and unique,” Volk said.

The first ceremony starts at 9 a.m. for the College of Sciences; noon marks the start of the ceremony for the College of Arts and Humanities and the School of Continuing Education. At 3 p.m. the College of Professional Studies will have its ceremony, and at 6 p.m. the Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences ceremony will be held.

Tickets for students’ families are limited to seven.

Steve Rich, assistant vice president for advancement, said if there are any leftover tickets after every graduate has received seven, more tickets will be distributed to those students who need them on a first come first serve basis.

Marcus Curtis can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]