Charleston favorites return to Uptowner

Chicago+Farmer

Submitted Photo

Kara Baker, Verge Reporter

Chicago Farmer and Craig Baumann of Overserved Gentlemen unite for a performance Friday.

Chicago Farmer and opener Craig Baumann will perform at 9 p.m. at Macs’ Uptowner, 623 Monroe Ave.

Cover charge is $5 and audience members must be 21 or older to enter.

With performances that are raw and passionate, Chicago Farmer’s storytelling appeals to both big- and small-town audiences.

Coupled with concerts that engage the audience, Chicago Farmer has developed a large following.

The growing popularity has sent the one-man-act’s Cody Diekhoff to shows throughout the country.

Chicago Farmer will be celebrating its 1000th performance in May.

“I’ve been around a long time,” said Diekhoff. “I’ve been expanding all over the Midwest, in Colorado, and California, but my roots are in Illinois.”

Friday’s show will be Diekhoff’s first performance of the year, after taking time away from the stage to focus on recording Chicago Farmer’s second album.

At Friday’s show, fans will be treated to several songs from the new album.

Diekhoff said for new songs, he’s followed his tradition of writing story songs. 

Growing up in a small town and then living his adult years in the city, Diekhoff has lived both sides of the notorious duality of Illinois.

From his experience, he’s developed stories that Illinois natives can relate to.

Last year, Diekhoff compiled these songs into Chicago Farmer’s first studio album “Backenforth, IL.”

At Friday’s show, “Backenforth, IL” will be offered in both CD and vinyl formats.

This is the first time the album has been offered on vinyl at a Charleston show. 

Diekhoff performed to a large crowd at Macs’ Uptowner last semester.

“I had a great time. The Charleston crowd is always rowdy, but respect the songs,” Diekhoff said.

Lonnie Fitzgerald, the booking agent for Macs’ Uptowner, said last semester’s Chicago Farmer show had one of the biggest crowds in Macs’ Uptowner history.

“You can listen to his songs on TouchTunes Jukeboxes across the nation, but nothing compares to seeing Chicago Farmer live on stage,” Fitzgerald said. “There’s never a dull moment at a Chicago Farmer show.”

Craig Baumann, who will take the stage at 9 p.m., said Macs’ Uptowner knows how to throw a party.

“I’ll bring the blues straight from the frozen swamps of Jefferson County, Wisconsin,” Baumann said.

Both Diekhoff and Baumann touted the importance of supporting live music and commended Macs’ Uptowner for providing the forum for local musicians.

“Students should support live music,” Diekhoff said. “The songs will connect to them, and they’ll get to move around while listening to the songs.”

Kara Baker can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].