Colonel’s Hunter wins Player of the Week

Bob Reynolds, Sports Editor

The Ohio Valley Conference announced its three awards on Tuesday Afternoon and Eastern Kentucky players earned two of them.

Michaela Hunter won OVC Player of the Week this week and averaged 29 points a game in the Eastern Kentucky two road wins last week. She recorded a career-high 40 points in the Colonels double overtime win at Tennessee Tech, which is the most points ever scored by an OVC player this season.

That was also the third most ever points by an Eastern Kentucky player in a single game.

Hunter was 15-of-29 from the floor and 5-of-7 from the free throw line in the game against the Golden Eagles.

At Murray State, she scored 18 points and corralled eight rebounds.

Also from Eastern Kentucky, Shameekia Murray won Newcomer of the Week, nearly averaging a double-double in Colonel wins this past week.

She scored her first career double-double at Murray State with a team-best 19 points and a career-high 11 rebounds.

In the win over Tennessee Tech, she added 16 points and seven rebounds.

Sally McCabe from Belmont won Freshman of the Week and scored 15 points per game in the Belmont two wins last week.

Against Jacksonville State, she played a career-high 29 minutes and scored 12 points.

At Tennessee State, she led all players with 18 points on 77 percent shooting from the floor.

Tennessee-Martin leads in most of the statistical categories for the OVC.

The Skyhawks lead in scoring offense at 83.3 points per game and are allowing the least amount of points in the conference with 59 per game.

The Skyhawks are shooting over 50 percent from the floor and 43 percent from the 3-point line, which both lead the conference.

Also, UT-Martin is averaging 8.3 3-point shots made per game.

Ashia Jones leads the conference in scoring and field goal percentage with 28.4 points per game and she is shooting 58.2 percent from the floor.

Eastern Illinois is tied for sixth place in the conference with a record of 4-4 and is leading the OVC in defensive rebounds and that is with the help of senior forward Sabina Oroszova.

She is leading the conference in rebounds with averaging 9.4 per game in the first eight conference games. Also, sophomore forward Erica Brown is averaging 7.1 rebounds per game.

Brown also leads the conference in blocked shots with two per game.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].