Track teams capture first place at John Craft Invite

Kevin Hall

Darneisha Spann, a freshmen elementary major, runs hurdles during the John Craft Invite Sat. in the Lantz Arena Indoor Fieldhouse.

Mark Shanahan, Staff Reporter

The Eastern men’s and women’s track teams each won first place at the annual John Craft Invite on Saturday.

The teams had a combined 17 first places finishes at the invite.

The men’s team totaled 235 team points on their way to victory beating out Illinois State, which came in second place with 159 points. Bradley came in third place with 48 points followed by Saint Louis with 37.5 and rounded out by Western Illinois who came in last with 34 points.

Junior Calvin Edwards, who won the OVC Male Track Athlete of the Week last week, again won the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.04 seconds. Red-shirt junior Norvel Mohammed took first in the 400-meter dash with a time of 49.34 seconds.

Also victorious for the men was senior Danny Trevor who had a time of 54.60 seconds in the 400-meter hurdles and sophomore Riley McInerney with an improved mile time of 4:11.68 seconds. Trevor won the Heptathlon title with a score of 2210 points as well.

Sophomore Kendall Williams won both the long jump and the triple jump with scores of 22-08-5 and 46-06.25. Senior David Johansson led a dominant team performance in the weight throw with a throw of 55 feet-01.50 inches.

The women’s team also dominated the competition with a score of 240 total points. Illinois State came in second with 173 points followed by Saint Louis who came in third with 58 points. Western Illinois and Bradley rounded out the standing with 48 and 12 points.

Junior Angelica Anyaogu won both the 60-meter dash and the long jump field event with scores of 7.67 seconds and 18 feet-09.75 inches. Junior Dhiaa Dean finished first in the 600-meter run with a time of 1:34.11 seconds and junior Amina Jackson also finished in first in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:03.68 seconds.

Sophomore Kristen Paris also had two first place finishes in the 800-meter run and the mile. Her time for the 800-Meter run was 2:15.17 seconds and her time for the mile run was 5:01.88 seconds.

In the field events, junior Janie Howse won the weight throw with a throw of 57 feet-02.25 inches. Sophomore Bryn Buckwalter earned a first place in shot put with a throw of 43 feet-11.25 inches and freshmen Haleigh Knapp won the high jump with a jump of 5-feet-7 inches.

Both teams will now prepare for the Indiana Relays next weekend in Bloomington, Indiana.

Mark Shanahan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].