Rappers are ‘Mean Girls’

Marge Clemente, Opinions Editor

I hate to admit that rappers are suddenly starting to sound about as whiny as none other than our very beloved Gretchen Wieners’ line, “You can’t sit with us!” but it is just something that had to be addressed.

It seems as though Drake, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, and Lil’ Wanye happen to have a little issue with letting outsiders into their super exclusive circle of elites.

You know there is a problem with the music our generation is taught to glorify when suddenly rappers decide to deem everyone else outside of a popularity cluster as worthless. What a superficial way of thinking, is it not?

I get that there are some songs are considered “hype songs” and are not meant to be taken seriously. They are the songs that no one really catches the lyrics to until you are outside of the club, away from the noise, and have a clear head.

I am positive I have not been the only who inwardly cringes even when sitting in the privacy of my car on my way to work while repeating mindless lyrics.

However, let us be honest with ourselves—some of these tunes are a guilty pleasure. We simply cannot refrain ourselves from shouting out the lyrics, even at the most inopportune moments.

It’s songs like “Only”, “No New Friends” and “Clique” that highlight the absurdity of forming cliques like a flock of bumbling high school girls just dying to recruit classmates as clueless as they are to worship them.

Why would anyone shun the idea of making new friends? Drake, you clearly need to break out of that shell.

And wait, what about Kanye? His clique is untouchable and also, apparently, impossible to get in.

Let us also take a closer look at the lyrics in “Only.” In his song, Chris Brown uses derrogatory terms to refer to close friends, and even to complimentthem.

So everyone, Chris Brown has a few announcements to make. If you did not happen to get the memo just yet, you will be excluded if you do not meet any of the following requirements: You must be real, bad, rich, independent, a boss, and most importantly — thick.

If you are lacking any of these characteristics, do not even bother looking their way. Whew! Long list, huh? Well, this is a four-man group, ONLY.

Step aside, losers because The Plastics are back, and they’re as fetch as they have ever been. Do not dare think for a split second that the four lovely ladies have gone very far or anywhere at all.

They have been reincarnated in the form of four very spoiled, demanding rappers.

Marge Clemente is a senior English major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].