Polls open for midterm elections

Chynna Miller| The Daily Eastern News Ryan Woods, a senior political science major and the President of EIU College Democrats, conversates with Stephanie Garcia, a senior politcal science major, about voting Monday in the library quad.

Stephanie Markham, News Editor

Voters can cast their ballots at their respective polling places Tuesday to elect various state and county officials as well as give input on certain constitutional amendments and advisory questions.

Locations for individuals to vote are listed on their registration cards depending on which precinct they live in. For most students, this is either the Newman Catholic Center at 500 Roosevelt Ave. or the Bridge Lounge of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Polls will open at 6 a.m. at the Newman Center and 8:30 a.m. in the Union and will extend until 7 p.m.

Those who have not registered can still do so Tuesday before they vote in the Bridge Lounge or at the Coles County Courthouse.

To register the day of the election, voters must present both a state-issued photo ID and proof of address, such as a bill or other piece of mail.

They would then submit their vote after registering, either in the Bridge Lounge or in the Coles County Clerk’s Office, 651 Jackson Ave., Room 122.

Grace period registration and voting in the Courthouse will be available from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday.

During the last midterm election in 2010, more than 150 people voted in the Union.

Cameron Craig, a geography professor and climatologist, said rain is in the forecast for Tuesday, and studies have shown bad weather usually yields a lower turnout.

On the 2014 ballot are state officials including U.S. senator, governor and lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, comptroller, treasurer, and representatives for the 15th congressional district and for the 110th representative district.

On the ballot as well are county officials including clerk, treasurer, sheriff, regional superintendent of schools and board member, as well as judge of the appellate court for the fourth district and judicial candidates seeking to remain in office.

Additionally, two proposed amendments to the Illinois constitution and three statewide advisory questions are on the ballot.

One proposed amendment would prohibit laws that disproportionately affect voters based on minority status, and the other would expand the rights of criminals.

Advisory questions include whether minimum wage should be raised to $10 per hour for workers over 18, whether health insurance companies should have to provide birth control, and whether a 3 percent tax on income greater than $1 million should go to school districts.

Stephanie Markham can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].