Panthers end 2014 season

Senior Meagan Radloff and red-shirt sophomore Lindsey Marino doubleteam an opponent during a match against Tennessee-Martin senior Sam Dunn during a game on Oct. 19 at the Eastern practice field. The Panthers lost to the Skyhawks 2-1 in extra time.

Dominic Renzetti, Assistant Sports Editor

With its final two matches of the season this past weekend, the Eastern women’s soccer team ended its season with a record of 2-15-2 and 1-8-1 in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Though it may not have been the result the team hoped for, red-shirt junior Chris Reed said the team’s progress from this season doesn’t show by its record.

“I know that it looks bad on paper, but I think how we compete with teams and who we have this year compared to last year, I think we’ve worked together better as a team this year than last year,” she said.

Reed, in her second season at Eastern since transferring from Cincinnati, finished with five goals and one assist. Four of those goals came in consecutive matches. Reed had one goal in OVC play against Tennessee-Martin.

“I think it shows that it doesn’t always look good, but I think we did better than we did last year,” she said.

Departing seniors

Last weekend marked the last matches of seniors Madison Carter, Allie Lakie, Meagan Radloff, Lauren Rusk, Ellen Campbell and Lauren Hoppensteadt.

Carter, from Lawrenceburg, Ky., saw a career-high four goals in her senior season. In her sophomore and junior seasons, Carter had two goals. She started 36 total matches in her career.

Lakie, from Homer Glen, made 20 total starts in her four seasons for the Panthers. Lakie had one goal in her junior season.

Radloff, from West Chicago, finished her career with 13 goals, while making 67 starts in four seasons. Radloff was a 2011 OVC All-Newcomer selection and was named to the 2013 All-OVC First team. Radloff had a career-high seven goals in her junior season and finished this year with five, tied for the most on the team with Reed.

Rusk, from Downers Grove, started six matches in her senior season. She appeared in 38 games in three seasons for the Panthers.

Campbell, from Naperville, played three seasons for the Panthers in 2010, 2013 and 2014. She made two starts this season and recorded one shot on goal.

Hoppensteadt finished her career with 48 starts in 72 matches. She had two goals and four assists in five seasons for the Panthers.

Dominic Renzetti can be reached at 581-2812  or [email protected].