Parade, game to cap off Homecoming

File Photo

The international students showcase their flags while participating in the Homecoming Parade on October 19, 2013.

Jarad Jarmon, Associate News Editor

Even with the Homecoming coronation and Family Fun Night over and done with for this year, the university will still be busy throughout the weekend with spirit and athletic events pressed back to back until Saturday.

Kicking off the weekend, McAfee gymnasium will rumble with students from Greek Life as well as other Student Registered Organizations and Residence Halls competitively screaming and cheering to win the “Yell Like Hell” cheering competition at 7 p.m. Friday.

Leading into Saturday, the annual Homecoming parade will take place at 9:30 a.m. featuring over 100 campus and community entries to be seen including such groups as the Panther Marching Band and the Homecoming King and Queen.

The parade will start at the intersection of Grant Ave. and First Street then end at the intersection of Lincoln Ave and Seventh Street.

Students, faculty, and community members will then have the ability to tailgate from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. outside the Lantz Arena before the Homecoming Panther game at 1:30 p.m. in Lantz. The Panthers will be facing off against the Tennessee State Tigers.

The past two encounters with the Tigers ended with Panthers winning.

Students will be able to help out with clean up around campus for the Homecoming Trash Bash and community cleanup from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday starting at Old Main.

Jarad Jarmon can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].