Women’s golf team finishes seventh

Bob Reynolds, Staff Reporter

The Eastern women’s golf team finished in seventh place in the Butler Fall Invitational on Tuesday at the par 70, 6,016-yard Highland Country Club in Indianapolis, Ind.

As a team, the Panthers shot a total of 647 and finished just two strokes behind sixth place Evansville. The Panthers did finish ahead of Bellarmine and Marion Universities.

In the first round, the Panthers shot 320 as a team and added seven more strokes to their total in round two.

Freshman Annie Getzin led all Panthers with her first career top-20 finish. Getzin, who is a native of Jasper, Ind., finished with a 76-79 for her two rounds, tying for 13th place out of 58 competitors.

Sophomore Alex Pickens shot an 82 and 81 for her two rounds, finishing tied for 30th place and senior Tiffany Wolf ended up in 32nd place with rounds of 81 and 83 for the tournament.

Rounding out the top-five Panthers were Anne Bahr, who finished in 34th place with scores of 81 and 84 and freshman Chole Wong, who finished the tournament with a 168.

Western Kentucky won the team title with scores of 306 and 297 for the two rounds. After round one, the Hilltoppers were tied for fourth place, but came back in the second round to capture the title.

Host Butler University came in second place after being in first place with a 293 in the first round, then fell one stroke short of Western Kentucky after shooting a 311 in the second round.

Indiana-Purdue University finished in third place with rounds of 307 and 301. Rounding out the top five were Youngstown State and Cleveland State.

Jenna Peters from Butler won the individual title, shooting a 3-under 69 in the first round and a 5-over in the second round. This was Peters’ second top-five finish, as she placed second in the Illinois State Redbird Invitational about a month ago.

Aislynn Merling from Youngstown State finished second with scores of 73 for both rounds, finishing behind Peters, after losing a one-hole shootout.

Ellinor Haag from Western Kentucky tied for third place with teammate Michaela Bordeianu. Both women shot a 73 and 74 for both rounds of the tournament.

Rounding out the top five were IUPUI’s Aneta Abrahamova with a two-round score of 148 and Kelsey McDougall, who tied Abrahamova with the 148 score.

Eastern will next be in action in the Dayton Fall Invitational, which will be held at the NCR Country Club in Kettering, Ohio on Oct. 20-22.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].