Men, women golf in action during weekend

Bob Reynolds, Staff Reporter

The Eastern men’s and women’s golf teams will both be in action during the weekend.

The men will be competing at the DePaul Fall Invitational at Ruffled Feathers Golf Course in Lemont on Friday, while the women will be competing at the Butler Fall Invitational on Sunday at Highland Country Club in Indianapolis, Ind.

Last time out the men were paced by the sophomore twin brothers of Daniel Hughes and Ryan Hughes.

They led all Eastern men’s golfers with a 10th-place finish at the two-day Chicago State Fall Classic.  The twin brothers carded identical scores of 149.

The Panthers had their highest finish of the season, placing fourth with a team score of 603, out of seven teams competing.

Eastern was tied for second overall following the first day, but had to add nine strokes to their tally because junior Oscar Borda withdrew for an unknown reason.

This time around, the Panthers will be competing with are in-state teams, including Western Illinois, Chicago State, DePaul, Lewis University and Loyala-Chicago.

Also Wisconsin-Green Bay, Indiana-Purdue University, Ashford University and Columbia University will be in the field.

Last season, the Panthers came in 10th out of 11 teams in this event.

The women on the other hand will be competing in Indianapolis, where the event will take place on Sunday and run through Tuesday.

This is the third-straight year the Panthers will be competing in this invite and they have had a top-five finish once, which was two years ago.

Last season, the Panthers placed sixth out of 11 teams in the tournament at Highland Country Club.

They were led by senior Tiffany Wolf, who shot a total score of 160 for the two rounds and was the only Panther to be in the top-20.

Lexi Hammerton finished 24th, while Elyse Banovic and Erika Von Itter finished in 38th place and 53rd places, respectively.

Last time out the Panthers finished in last place out of seven teams at the Southern Illinois Fall Shootout and were led by Wolf who finished in the top 20 for the second time this season.

Wolf shot a total of 158, which was her best round of the season.

Next time out for both squads the men will be finishing up its fall season at the Austin Peay Invitational in Kentucky on Oct. 19, at The Links at Novadell in Hopkinsville, Ky.

The women will head to Kettering, Ohio for the Dayton Fall Invitational at NCR Country Club.

Bob Reynolds (@BobReynolds) can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].