Eastern students prepare for the Family Weekend

Jarad Jarmon, Associate News Editor

A calm before the storm has swept Eastern as students and community members alike prepare for the droves of parents and siblings rushing into Charleston for Family Weekend.

Whether they have family coming for the game, Sinbad or to just see the campus, students prepare for the onslaught of parents flooding places like the Food Court in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union or Jimmy Johns.

Paul Blackmore, a sophomore engineering major, said he was going to make sure he avoided the parents swarming the campus. He said working on homework is his prime tactic to surviving the weekend.

For Katie Rodriguez, an undecided sophomore, parents and other family members are unavoidable. She said seven of her family will be coming down to see the campus including her parents, her two brothers, her brother’s girlfriend, her sister and her sister’s boyfriend.

Despite her family coming to Eastern, she said she was not sure if they really just wanted to see the campus.

“Most of them are alums. I think they are more excited to come back,” Rodriguez said. “I even think they want to see me.”

Overall, Family Weekend will include the football game between the Eastern football team and Austin Peay.

Students, faculty, staff and family will be able to go to the Chinese Acrobats preforming at 8 p.m. Friday in the Grand Ballroom in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Tailgating will be from 10:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. in the O’Brien Stadium Tailgate Area. Kickoff will start at 1:30 p.m. Saturday on O’Brien Field. Tickets will be free for students, but adults will need to pay $20, faculty and staff, $18, those in high school, $7 and children between the ages of four and 14, $5.

Pete Santaro, a sophomore physics major, said he was going to make sure to make it to the tailgate.

Following up the game, Sinbad will be preforming at 8 p.m. Saturday in the Lantz Arena. The Doors will be open at 7 p.m. Tickets will cost $21.

Students will then have the chance to send their parents off after a breakfast hosted from 9 a.m. until 11:30 in the Grand Ballroom in the Union. For adults, the meal will cost $9.50, and children between the ages of six and 10. Children under the ages of 5 and under will get in for free.

For more information, those interested in any of the events occurring during Family Weekend can go to the Family Weekend schedule website.

Jarad Jarmon can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].