City council proclaim fire prevention week

Blake Warman, Staff Reporter

Charleston City Council plans to proclaim Fire Prevention Week from Oct. 5 until Oct. 11.

The council will meet to review the proclamation at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the council chambers at City Hall.

The local Charleston Fire Department and Emergency Services host Fire Prevention Week every year.

This year’s theme will be “Working Smoke Alarms Save Lives: Test Yours Every Month.” During the week, the local fire department will spend time teaching the community fire prevention.

They will also be going to local schools to teach students about prevention. When they spend time at these schools, they will run fire drills to get students involved. The fire department will use this opportunity to teach the students about fire safety and what to do in an emergency.

On Saturday, the Charleston Fire Department will host an open house at the fire station. The open house will have different activities for children as well as demonstrations on fire safety.

The council will also review allowing Deborah Meadows to have a rear yard setback at 1620 Monroe Ave. Currently, Meadows has a garage on her property she wishes to change to a living space.

The current garage is within the requirements of the zoning regulations. Meadow does not plan to change anything dealing with the structure of the building. Meadows also went through the neighborhood and had people sign a petition to allow her to do this.

The petition stated that the local neighborhood understood and had no disagreements with Meadows changing the garage to a living space. The Board of Zoning Appeals and Planning previously approved this setback unanimously.

The council will also review the approval of three raffle licenses. These raffle licenses will be for the Lincoln Fire Protection District, the Charleston Police Department and the American Cancer Society.

Blake Warman can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].