New senators to be announced Wednesday

Debby Hernandez, Administration Editor

New senators will be introduced at the student senate meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Arcola/Tuscola Room at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Student Body President Reginald Thedford will induct new members during the meeting.

Of the 15 open positions, about 12 of them were filled. The new senators are expected to serve for the fall semester.

Yazmin Rodriguez, the student vice president for student affairs, said new committee chair members have not been appointed, but student government might be looking to fill some chair positions.

“This year we are giving new members a chance to be committee chairs if they have experience,” Rodriguez said.

Each senator serves one-semester terms and must run for re-election if interested in serving another term.

Thedford said all students interested in becoming senators have an opportunity to run every semester.

“Students appointed and not appointed must run in elections at the end of the semester to be considered,” he said.

Student Senate Speaker Courtney Sage appointed applicants for the senate positions.

All appointment recommendations were reviewed and approved by current senators.

The senate will also review registered student organizations’ feedback from Panther Palooza, and discuss plans for their outreach campaign.

Rodriguez said the senate sent out surveys to the RSOs at Panther Palooza to receive input about the event.

“We want to receive feedback on what we can change for next year,” she said.

In addition to addressing RSOs, the student senate will review ways to reach out to students.

Thedford said the goal is to give students a chance to speak out with the help of student senate.

“As part of our ‘your voice matters’ campaign, we want to get student voices heard and make sure their concerns are being addressed at student government,” Thedford said.

Debby Hernandez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].