Childhood dream turned Charleston small business

Childhood+dream+turned+Charleston+small+business+

Michelle Falada, Staff Reporter

Most kids want to be firefighters or teachers when they get older if you ask them.

Mark Waters wanted to own a comic book store.

He realized this dream more than two decades ago after his wife pushed him to open what is now the only comic store in Charleston, Midgard Comics, located at 102 W. Lincoln next to McDonalds.

“My wife actually encouraged me to open a store and follow my dreams, and so I did, 21 years ago,” Waters said.

Waters grew up enjoying comic books in the 70s. He said he had a dream of bringing that same joy to the locals. Even though he stopped reading comics in his teens, he picked up the hobby again in his early adulthood, and created a business out of it.

Despite the fact that the closest comic book store was in Champaign he said it is a double-edged sword having no competition. He said studies he has read showed more comic book stores in one area result in more community members reading comics in general.

Also, even though the comic book store is only a ten minute walk from campus, his typical customer is in their mid 30’s with an established career. While he does get traffic from students, it does not make up a significant amount of his customer base.

While they do not have many students coming in, those students that do come in, come in frequently. He said he found it interesting that the students with less disposable income were his main demographic.

Waters said he tries to cater to all age groups and carries all current major comics and back issues, figures, collectibles and memorabilia, plush toys, used video games and DVDs.

With the growing popularity of superhero movies, Waters said he has also noticed more children coming in to read comics.

“I have seen a lot more kids come in than I have seen come in 5 or ten years ago. They see the movie, and they’ll want to read the comic and get back into reading again,” he said.

He said a main focus for him was to target the female demographic, which is lacking in the store, by carrying other items such as Looney Tunes plushies. He said girls would come in and be surprised by the additional merchandise they had for sale.

Waters said while there are several other forms of entertainment, it can’t hurt to try out comics, especially with the growing popularity of superheroes.

Michelle Falada can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].