New green space still not completed

The space between Khlem and Biological Sciences Building is still not green.

As of now there is only dirt and rock soil with blotches of grass covering the ground between the two buildings.

Gary Reed, the director of Facilities Planning and Management, said Eastern had planned to make it a “green space” by the time school started this year, but complications prevented completion of the area.

“That was the plan, but poor soil conditions because of rock contamination delayed ?completion,” he said. “The rock content was so significant that we needed to bring in a ?special machine to separate the rock from the soil.”

Reed said that the area is seeded and desperately needs water. “They will irrigate the area as required, depending on the moisture,” he said. “We should see grass before late fall.”

Then, the additional topsoil was brought in to improve the growing conditions, he said.

“Since this work ran into mid- to late summer, our seeding and hence grass growth ended up behind schedule,” he said.

?In the past, the space had also been used for parking for the faculty.

When the parking for the faculty was removed it did not affect the number of parking space throughout the campus, he said.

“It was originally a through-street across campus that created significant ?danger to pedestrians,” Reed said. “For the past decade, it was fenced and used to store and stage contractor materials and office trailers for major campus construction projects.”

He explained that Eastern’s main focus is adding green space to the campus, and the space is part of the vision for the campus.

The final landscape plan envisions a major connection between the Alumni Plaza, south of Booth Library and 7th Street. The plan includes wide walkways benches placed to create a great pedestrian pathway and lounge, he said.

Reed said that the green space is the best decision for the environment as well as the campus.

Dana Jackson can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]

New green space still not completed

New green space still not completed

Kayla Brandt, a graduate student in dietetics, rides her bike past the planned “green space” between the Klehm and Life Sciences buildings. (Kimberly Foster