Feature Photo: Loud noises

By Jennifer Brown

Administration

Eastern Veterans Services Coordinator Michael Ruybal began to prepare care packages for the U.S. Armed Forces in March.

“Care packages first started in March with a program called ‘Flag in Their Pocket,’ a small properly folded American Flag with a small note in each,” Ruybal said.

Ruybal said Student Veterans of Eastern included a flag in 1,000 care packages for the soldiers.

The next event Ruybal and Student Veterans completed was the Project Hero events.

“A kick-off lunch in Thomas Hall dining, a water balloon war, and a battleship tournament,” Ruybal said. “After that, a press release was sent out and drop boxes were set up at Walmart, Starbucks, Rural King and here on campus at Old Main.”

Each care package for the U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan has information about Eastern, notes from students and faculty and an American flag, Ruybal said.

“The packages drink mix, jerky, candy, chips, eye wash and a small toy to give to local children,” Ruybal said. “What has been donated depends on what is inside each.”

Ruybal, a veteran who served a 13-year active duty tour in the Army, created the Project Hero program to support the U.S. troops.

Ruybal said it is important for the soldiers to know they have support back home.

“Those I have spoken to that are currently down range are very excited for the ‘gifts’ that are headed their way,” Ruybal said.

One thousand U.S. Marines, airmen and soldiers are expected to receive these packages, Ruybal said.

Donations have been received from the Charleston community, Eastern students and faculty.

Ruybal, his wife and children, ages 1and 11, prepared the care packages. Daniel Hart, president of Veterans for Eastern, also participated in the preparation of the packages.

“We have been putting them together for a month now,” Ruybal said. “Our final push will be at Red, White & Blue Days and we will start shipping them out to their final destinations this next week.”

Any U.S. soldier who has been deployed may receive a care package, Ruybal said.

“I have gathered a list of contacts and friends I know from across the military theatre and will be sending the packages to them,” Ruybal said. “Some have 160 soldiers in the unit others have 14 to 20, so it all depends on the numbers.”

Shelby Cornwell, store manager of Starbucks, said Starbucks donated 1,000 VIA instant coffees for the U.S. troops.

“They won’t have to worry about a coffee maker,” Cornwell said. “Each soldier gets three instant coffees.”

Cornwell said Ruybal asked if Starbucks would be willing to participate in the project.

“I hope it lets them know there are people back here that care about them and appreciate them,” Cornwell said.

Ruybal said these care packages bring a sense of moral to the soldiers.

“These care package are one of the many lifelines for any man or woman deployed,” Ruybal said. “They bring a smile to your face and you are touched knowing someone took the time to think about you.”

Jennifer Brown can be reached at 581-7942

or [email protected].

Feature Photo: Loud noises

Feature+Photo%3A+Loud+noises+

Riley Kerz, 4, of Charleston holds her hands over her ears after she helps ring the Liberty Bell replica at Red White & Blue Days Monday afternoon at Morton Park. (Audrey Sawyer